curtis 2000 key machine cutter

I just purchased a curtis 2000 key cutter. Ive got a bunch of key blanks but have no idea what they go to. I know there is a chart to tell you what type of key goes with what blank. Could someone please tell me where to find it. Ive searched online for the Curtis Co but have had no luck in finding them. Thanks in advance for any help James

Reply to
jamesgod1979

Hi James,

Here is a link to the Kaba-Ilco key blank catalog. You can download it or view it on line.

You may be able to identify some of them there. If they are pretty old you will have to find an older key blank catalog on eBay.

Leon Rowell

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

I heard awhile back that Curtis changed name, or was sold out to Barnes.

I used to have a very old Curtis catalog, whihc may still be in the cellar of my parents home. Many of the Curtis numbers can be found in the cross reference of a new Ilco 60 catalog. Or, you can post a few of the numbers here, and I'll do what I can to tell you what they are.

They keyrack I bought, used, in the 80s came with a bunch of blanks that were obsolete. So, I put them on plastic rings, and give them out for Haloween.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As a packrat I would suggest that there is no such thing as an obsolete keyblank. Some are more common than others, but when that customer comes into your shop after having tried 50 other places to get a duplicate key and you deliver you are always going to be first on their list.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

"Stormin Mormon" typed the following: They keyrack I bought, used, in the 80s came with a bunch of blanks that were obsolete. So, I put them on plastic rings, and give them out for Haloween.

How dare you!!! You are compromising security!!!! Giving kids uncut blanks!!?? And don't tell me you hid them in the apples!!! You would'nt dare do that in California!!! I can see it now. OMG!!! JK

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Ah, ding, ding. The pavlovian reaction. Never throw anything away cause it feels so GOOD when you have the right blank.

I went to the van and found a couple Master originals for those extruded brass padlocks. Impressioned a key to a padlock today. A year ago, I cut a couple Y-3 Curtis keys. Remember them? They were kinda like an EA-1.

However, in NY State, I'm near to guaranteed not to need single sided Datsun any more. But not totally guaranteed, I know where there is one, a mid 60s Datsun. And it takes the single sided key.

Couple years ago, a friend of my Dad's asked me to copy a Hollymade key. Remember the HO-1? I've only cut those, in my entire life. For his hunting cabin in Canada.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But, in respect for the group FAQ, I don't give them OKBOI. (Obsolete Key Blank Opening Instructions.) I mean, it's bad enough to give out keys that are capable of operating doors. Like, if I gave out magazines capable of fitting machine guns, the ATF would have me in the slammer in a wink.

You know the more I'm thinking about it, I'm potentially turning little four and five year olds into a life of crime. Just think what they could do with those key blanks with an impressioning file? They could be breaking into homes in the old section of the cities and murdering senior citizens. You could possibly have saved an entire generation from a life of crime.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's OK, you're also poisoning them (remember all the people up in arms because key alloy often contains a bit of lead?), so it all balances out in the end.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

want some more??

I got a wire.. 3 FEET long, strung with OLD Honda Motorcycle blanks.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

I gave away steel key blanks for years. Wonder if they rusted in the kids pockets and gave em tetanus?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wish you said Harley. I got a call earlier this year to copy a Harley key. The guy didn't call back, so maybe he got one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

go several of he flat ones, bough about 40# of older blanks off a 'retired' locksmith, for he cost of scrap brass. some were savable.. some were.. scrap brass.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Umm no they wouldn't because there is no federal law prohibiting distributing magazines for "machine guns" yet another instance of where you don't know what you are talking about.

Reply to
Steve