Cheap CAD desk legs?

I need a cheap method of making a desk.... big and sturdy and lots of room.

I was thinking I could buy some folding legs..... legs like saw horses.. and get a big flat surface from Home Depot.

Thing is I don't know what these legs are called. I know that some art supply places sell such folding legs.

Any sources for these folding legs? And any idea what the name of them is?

Reply to
john63401

how about a couple of cheap filing cabinets? look around for a used office furniture store.. there are lots of them

-- be cool,

Reply to
Longshot

Dumb question on my part.. but what is a "trestle"?

Reply to
john63401

Yes.... that's what I want..... BUT.... Im looking for something a bit more "decorative" than the saw horses you buy at Home Depot. Something not so "machine shop" looking.

It seems to me that many mons ago I remember seeing such decorative saw horses in an art magazine somewhere.... but don't remember where.

Any searches on google for "saw horse" just keeps taking me to the machine shop type.

Again..... Im "hoping" you guys can refresh my memory on where I saw the decorative artsy fartsy style saw horses. Haha.

Hmmmmm.... .... you know I hadn't thought of it but you are RIGHT!!

Reply to
john63401

how about those jack stands you can buy to stabilize campers. .metal "pyramid" things with a threaded rod in the middle for leveling

-- be cool,

Longshot

Reply to
Longshot

I had dribbeled out, as an aside:

Oh, gawd, do NOT let my wife know that. I'm way too auld to begin the training all over again.

-- "Who we are and who we become depends, in part, on whom we love."

-- "A General Theory Of Love" Thanks, Mom ______________________________________________________________ Glen Appleby snipped-for-privacy@armory.com

Reply to
Glen Appleby

I am wondering what makes this desk a "cad" desk? wouldn't you just call it a movable desk, or a desk with folding legs? My idea for a cad desk has always been a tall computer stand with a drafting table next to it and a chair with a swivel. I do allot of paper to cad transfer and it's a pain in the ass working with my keyboard on my drawing especially when the drawings get BIG.

just wondering...

mathew

Reply to
birtch

we use for the iron workers & press breaks & shears to support sheets of steel.. granted they are all made from angle & channel.. but look like "saw horses"

Reply to
Longshot

Another thought ... Costco has ready-made sturdy 8' folding tables for less than you'd probably have to pay for a solid core door. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

Custom? A door sitting on sawhorses? ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

After three days this thread has outlasted almost every CAD-related thread going....

Talk about *legs*!.... ; D

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

No..... not a custom job really..... but I do like the idea of the legs being separate from the surface rather than buying a Costco folding table.

That way if i move a long distance I can just leave behind or ditch the surface (plywood wahtever).....and take the legs only..... fold them up and pack them and move them.

Reply to
john63401

Wow

I did all that?

I haven't rejected ANY idea actually.... just listening to what everyone suggests.

I am looking for saw horses...... but my question was to find some that are somewhat "decorative" and not machine shop or industrial looking like you would find at Home Depot.

It seems that I did se some YEARS ago in some kind of art or drafting supplies magazine..... but they had a name other than "sawhorses".... but were in fact that very shape and design...... just much sleeker and better looking. Metal units.... maybe even chromed or finished surface of some kind.

Problem is I cant for the life of me remember what they were called. Ive searched Google high and low..... looked in some online mags for them.... but no dice.

I was hoping that maybe some of you all might know what these were called/named (other than sawhorse)..... or maybe what magazine they could be purchased from.

If I have offended anyone by seeming "un-intereted" in your suggestions... than I apologize..... but that is NOT the case.

Reply to
john63401

Hahaha..... yep!

Reply to
john63401

I haven't really been following this thread, but from the last couple of your posts that I've read, it sounds to me like you're going to have to make them yourself.

I've found that anytime I KNOW what I want, if it is within my power at all, I'll make it myself. Tends to come out better than what the stores carry, usually cheaper, I learn a little and can be proud of my efforts.

If you haven't done so, take a slow walk throught your Home Depot/Lowes/whatever and be sure to look at all the items in the fasteners aisle (hinges, particularly), and all of the items in the three or so lumber aisles. A little imagination and a few reasonably priced items and you'll probably have exactly the legs you want.

Just my $0.02

Reply to
TomD

that's gonna cost you.. I can't remember how many times I went for a couple nails & left with a new power tool! :O}

Reply to
Longshot

Unfortunately, my wife picked up a husband adjustment tool. I've never actually seen it, and I don't know where she got it, but it hurts like hell on the back your skull. It's quite effective at keeping me in line, too. :o

Reply to
TomD

Might that be one of those clue-by-fours?