Re: For Sale: Curtis Key cutting machine

is in excellent

$175 including

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Heads Up "Michael" This is NOT a 'binary' group. Its a 'text only' group. If you wish to post a pic ? put it on a URL and post the link.

g'day

Reply to
Key

Did he try to post a binary?

Reply to
Aegis

It

no, he didn't try. he did..

Reply to
Key

Musta been stripped... I didn't see it.

Reply to
Aegis

a HUGE one...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

sale.

Asking

guess so ?

Reply to
Key

"'Key" wrote in message:

" -- Heads Up "Michael" This is NOT a 'binary' group. Its a 'text only' group. If you wish to post a pic ? put it on a URL and post the link. "

Umm the funny thing is that YOU CAN post files (whatever type you can imagine) attached to messages... Perhaps you should ask (or direct) your UseNet friends to block all such attachments... 'Key why do you take it entirely upon yourself to 'attempt' to police this newsgroup... It is not yours... Since this is an UNMODERATED group I would ask you to stop pretending to moderate it by responding to 'SPAM'... If it truly offends you do have every right to report it to whomever you wish to... However since news message headers can be very easily forged, just as with e-mails, not too many ISPs out there will respond with any type of extreme action on the order you seem to be searching for... It seems to me that your 'trolling' of Spam would only serve to provoke even more people to post it here since it gets you all uppity... I would counter your 'anti-spam' and 'anti-troll' activities here as: "It takes one to know one"... So give it a rest... You throw a fit whenever someone posts a URL to an eBay page... When eBay just happens to be one of the best equipped sites on the entire internet to sell things... What gives you or Glen or anyone else the AUTHORITY to tell people who use eBay that they have to cancel their account ??? While I agree some items should not be sold on an eBay auction (this varies depending on what state or states in which you are completing the transactions in) -- however instructing people to place URLs of their own websites here simply to post a picture for an item that is for sale is ridiculous... For exactly the same reasons why hardly any of you have the 'correct' return e-mail address in your message headers... You can not sit in glass houses and throw stones... Since some of you here have 'false' or 'no spam' e-mail return address you are also violating policies... Ethics require that if you are going to religiously enforce ALL rules then you have to comply with ALL OF THEM yourself regardless of the reasons why you feel 'justified' in doing so... You write often of this newsgroup's rules and UseNet policies... I am remembering back quite a ways here, but under those same set of rules it was required that each newsgroup had to post its FAQ and also its Rules and Regulations on a monthly basis... In the several months that I have been reading and posting to this newsgroup on a regular basis I have YET TO SEE SUCH A POST... That is out of 2500 posts mind you... A "visit the FAQ page" post reminder is NOT adequate as notice of Terms of Service... So please FOLLOW each and every rule yourselves before you go about speaking out about spam and 'questionable postings'...

Thank You

Evan the Maintenance Man

Reply to
Evan

Hey man....who pissed in your Fruit Loops this morning? Get a fresh bowl and look at life from another perspective. Danny Danny Williams Danny's Locksmith Service Fayetteville, NC

Reply to
Keyman28

There is no contradiction here. One "CAN" do things which are impolite to do. This is a text news.group not a binary one, and it is not polite (i.e. violates "nettiquette") to post binaries.

I often report spam to the ISP. It isn't trivial to forge all of the news.headers - and, in my personal experience, many ISPs will take action. It also seems that few spammers read the news.groups in which they spam - so I don't think it makes any difference.

I suspect that I've been involved with usenet a lot longer than you have. I don't remember such a rule.

I'll get around to posting the FAQ again one of these days. But I think that a notice about finding it on the web is just as good. I need to point out that the FAQ is *not* "Terms of Service"!

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

It is unmoderated, Evan. But ever since the inception of USENET, there has always been a division between binary and non-binary groups... Back in the day, we were on here at 300bps and UUENCODE was already functioning for binary files (still, though modified, in use today). To protect from waiting

2 eons to view what SHOULD have been only text, they made binary and non-binary groups. You can tell if you are in a binary group because it will say "binary" somewhere in the group name.

Don't know if it is stated in the FAQ not to post binaries, but it has always been an accepted rule.

:-)

Reply to
Aegis

type you can

(or direct) your

Why do you have such a hard time understand things ? Bottom line is This is NOT a 'binary' group. Its a 'text only' group.

newsgroup... It is not

never said it was my group. you might not care if this groups goes to crap but I certainly do.

what are you talking about ? responding to spam is NOT pretending to moderate this group.

to...

correct

as with e-mails,

extreme action on

wrong again the true identy is there for the taking and can't be truly hidden. ISP's do respond when they are approached in the right way ?

people to post it

thats one opinion.

one"... So give it a

your opinion has been noted.

page...

sites on the entire

anyone else the

cancel their account

get your facts straight. I never told anyone they had to cancel their account. Ebay has their own policys and THEY do enforce them when its brought to their attention.

auction (this

completing the

URLs of their own

for sale is

no, thats just the way it is on text only groups like this.

the

You can not sit

here have 'false' or

policies...

what usnet policies would that be ?

rules then you have

reasons why you feel

What Ethics would that be ?

rules as in the norm for this group. (do you see the words "binary or binaries in the name of this group ?) UseNet policies are UseNet policies

to post its FAQ

In the several

newsgroup on a regular

adequate as notice of

maybe not to you ? funny, no one else has ever complained. The FAQ link gets posted all the time in responces. I have done it many times myself.

postings'...

are you for real ? get a glue would ya please.

Reply to
Key

Here is a direct quote from the FAQ Version 6.51 it can be found at various places including

  1. Why are posts of binaries (pictures) against the consensus rules of this news.group? This has been discussed a number of times in the past. The consensus of this news.group agrees with usenet Nettiquette (note that alt.locksmithing is part of usenet) that the disadvantages of including binaries in a text news.group outweigh the advantages.

Some of the disadvantages are:

  • A huge post causes other posts to expire faster on the servers. * A huge post seriously impacts download time for those of us who do * bulk-downloads to minimize our connect-time costs. * A huge post impacts those of us (and there still are some) whose * connect costs are by-the-byte.

The "Nettiquette" docs are easily found in news.announce.newusers and among those there is one titled: "How to find the right place to post (FAQ)" which has a section "Binaries (images, executables, sounds, etc.)" dealing with this exact question. It says that there are "binaries" news.group and they "are the only places where you should ever post a file that is not directly human-readable, such as pictures, software, or even Microsoft Word files (which are not readable unless you have a copy of Microsoft Word on your computer.)"

The alternative which has met with the most approval is to put a picture on a Web page and post the URL in your alt.locksmithing post. PhotoPoint is a site which offers free service for this purpose. Another alternative is to post the binary to alt.pictures or some other binary news.group and mention that.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

You can do virtually anything that doesn't violate the laws of physics that doesn't mean you are supposed to or should.

Since it's an unmoderated group then why are YOU now taking it upon yourself to moderate him? Besides he wasn't responding based on a SPAM objection but simply informing the poster that it isn't a binary group which is commonly accepted practice all across Usenet.

I haven't seen either of them say that anyone has to cancel their account. And ebay has lots of rules about what you can and cannot sell and how you can advertise what you sell.

No it isn't. Taking advantage of a FREE serivice like Usenet to eat up large amounts of resources on many many servers to post pictures is ridiculous. If the group isn't binary post a link. It's accepted practice all across Usenet.

God you babble without a clue. Virtually all posting software, hell even aol, lets you spoof the e-mail address. No one has any need to know a posters e-mail address unless the poster chooses to divulge it.

<much further babbling from the new moderator snipped>
Reply to
Putyourspamhere

This kid posts more often with less thought than anybody I've ever seen on here. The part about having your Usenet friends block objectionable posts was especially amusing.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I didn't tell him to cancel his account. I told him that I was sure they (Ebay) would cancel it for him.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I clicked on the original link and my OE6 locked up for a long time. HUGE binary that's for sure.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

True, but YOU CAN murder someone in cold blood too... Anytime; anywhere. The law spells out the penalty, but doesn't actually stop you. Doesn't mean you should. :-)

Reply to
Aegis

mine lists lines and that was a 5500+ line of code to make the picture.

figure 2 meg maybe... or more

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

note to self, DONT DO MATH late at night...

250K file.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yea at 5 KB download speed on my ATT dialup it was a pain. Maybe I should go cable but that just cost more and in this line of work it really isn't needed yet. Maybe in the future. I think if someone post it in the header that it is a big file that would help. At least I would know what I was clicking on. I dont like clicking on a header only to see a hour glass as I wait and wait for something I didn't expect.

Reply to
Glen Cooper