Machine tool control wiring

The Italian made Helios horizontal mill (OM Larios) is in great! mechanical condition..but the electrical is a disaster. The original control panel was mounted about 6" off the floor on the port side..requireing you to walk around the table, and kneel down, or crawl under the table to simply turn it on, let alone change spindle and power feed directions and turn on the coolant pump. Switches were some sort of small rotary snap action 3ph switch..that have all fallen to pieces.

So I want to get rid of them utterly (no good anyways) and put a control box off to the side of the ram.

Controls I need

  1. Spindle or main power on/off
  2. Spindle fast/slow (2 speed 3ph motor)
  3. Spindle forward/reverse (will need to reverse input power to #2)
  4. Powerfeed forward/reverse/off (1speed 3ph motor)
  5. Coolant pump on/off

I cant tell what size the motor is..label is inside up top but am assuming its probably a 2hp based on small size

Id rather not hang a bunch of half round drum switches on a chunk of angle. While functional...its not API or pretty

Anyone have any sources or ideas for reversing relays for 3ph? Ive got a bunch of form c relays..but would need a second On/Off relay for both spindle and power feed. Im currently out of any sort of interlocked reversing relays..damnit...and interlocked is what I really want. Unless someone has a better idea?

Anyone got any ideas how to best accomplish making up the control? Sticking on a pair of VFDs would work..chuckle..but would cost about 5 times what I got into the mill.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Oh..I could live with 3ph reversing switches too. Id rather that then relays actually. Something that can do 2hp for the next 20 yrs.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Any 4-pole contactor can be set up in an interlocked manner. You'd need

5 poles if you want them to be self-holding, as well, for a 3-button control. Or, you could use two "ice cube" relays for the control. latching/interlock functions, and 2 simple 3-pole contactors for the load.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hey Jon,

SNIP

SNIP

Howszat????? "Starters" are required to have both electrical and mechanical interlocking. Or do you just mean electrically?

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson