Anyone got any 3ph reversng relays?

Im getting the materials together to built a control unit for an Italian horizontal milling machine in my home shop.

I need (2) 230vt 3ph reversing relays (contactors) with interlocks and overloads rated at 2-3hp.

Any voltage coil would be fine.

I need to be able to turn the spindle forwards and reverse, as well as the table feed direction. 2 seperate motors

The original set up was a control panel mounted on the base of the machine, on the port side about 6" from the floor. This required the operator to get down on his hands and knees, craw under the table, and set direction, turn on the coolant pump etc.

Freaking morons.

Good mechanical design, but the control circuity sucked with loud slurping noises and the switches were pieces of shit that failed over the years.

One supposes I could use drum switches...shrug..but I really want to make a small control head that attaches to the overarm and uses small switches to control the relays boxed in a convienent location. Table F/O/R, spindle F/o/R, and Coolant. On/off, Worklight On/Off. Estop

Mainpower On/off I can put on the side of the machine.

Swap/trade/barter etc

Gunner

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."

Bill Clinton 1993-08-12

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Since reversing is swapping two leads - leave the wild one alone and use a 2 pole double throw - or two 2 pole single throw and wire them.

I might have the two 2 pole - I have to look. I had some left over from my single phase to 3 phase conversion control box.

I'll try to look this weekend. I also have some heavy industrial rotary switches.

Mart> Im getting the materials together to built a control unit for an Italian

government's ability to govern the people,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner, I think I have some 3 contact heavy duty relays from a mainframe disk controller with 115V coils, but I think they are single throw. Let me know if they are of use. I think you you need an off before on function and a seperate interlock as well. You are probably better off with drum switches though. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Gunner, I'm pretty sure I have exactly what you need. They are of the two-3-pole-contactors-on-one-frame variety, and I'm pretty sure I have the adjustable overloads that went with them. I'll have to check on the ratings, but I'm almost positive they are 2HP or more. I have not looked at them for a while, but (surprise!!) actually know exactly where they are. 24VAC coils, IIRC.

I don't know if you are a in a hurry, I may not be able to get my hands on them until Monday or Tuesday, as they are not here at home. If you can wait and do not find some others, they are yours.

Please email me directly, I only get by here occasionally these days.

-Al A.

Reply to
Al A.

Im in no hurry, Im still recovering from a triple bypass, 3 weeks ago today.

Thanks

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thanks Steve, but I as you said...I need the off before on and interlocks. Drum switches will work...but because of the design...there is not too many places to put drum switches that are safe or convinent.

Im not a big fan of reaching past spinning 6" horizontal mill cutters to turn it off and on. I have that issue now with my older Abene.

But Thanks!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch