Mysterious milling machine accessory

Any idea what this thing might be called, thanks

Ignoramus24818

It's a milling arbor.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

iggy,

40 or 50 taper horizontal mill arbors. Spacers for locating/spacing cutters. Right end has a center pocket for the overarm center support. RichD

Ign Ignoramus24818 wrote:

Reply to
RichD

Horizontal mill spindle.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Thanks to all three who replied so far, I finally have a "mental picture" of how they are used.

Ignoramus24818

If you don't know what they are, its a good bet you don't need them. If they are ISO #40 taper and less than 12" long and have a 1" and/or 1.250" diameter, I could use them. How much do you want? Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

It's a pen. People used to use it to compose text with. Good idea to throw in a couple of horizontal milling arbors so we can instantly spot the scale on this nearly obsolete item .. :-)

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

All the rest are wrong...

It's a carpet

Seriously, they can also be useful for holding Brown&Sharpe type gear cutters even if you don't intend to do any "proper" horizontal milling.

Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yes..its a multipurpose device called a ball point pen.

The other two things are horizontal milling machine arbors as anyone knows.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Not a spindle.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Yep! Not a spindle.

Harold and Susan Vordos

Others have explained what it is. Here is a picture of one mounted in a machine:

If this link doesn't work, go to images.google.com and search for "kearney trecker".

Reply to
AL

Hi Steve,

I usually offer things on Rec.Crafts.Metalworking for less than they sell on ebay, which is fine with me. The one that was pictured has a

7/8" diameter.

I have a arbor with 1.25" shaft, but that one has a Cat50 taper and is considerably longer (couple of feet).

I have five of these milling arbors, all different. All longer than a foot. In this picture, you can see them all, the one you saw originally is on the right.

Ignoramus17274

ROTFLMAO

Ignoramus17274

Looks very ugly:) I am sure that you are 100% right, and besides, I have two more parts from those machines.

See

vs.

Ignoramus17274

That is the support for a long boring bar. I think it's just called that but I've heard it reffered to as an align boring attatchment or just plain line bore. Makes for nice straight holes.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Looks like an Arbor.

And it runs in the direction the head drives it.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Steve Lusardi wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The photo has these upside down, but working with it the way it is shown-----The one on the right is the arbor support and bearing. The one on the left is the OUTBOARD arbor support and bearing, and the two studs and nuts you see on it are used to fasten it to the outboard support frame, shown in the ebay shot, which is used when the cut is heavy or the overarms (the two round shafts these bearing support fit on) are at full extension. The pair of long vertical slots allow setting the table height, then clamp the bearing support in place.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks Brian. If you want a few spacers for these suckers, let me know, postage will be on me.

Ignoramus17274

Right, the arbor that mates to the spindle.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch