Cheap temporary rust prevention

I have a bunch of tools that will stay in my garage for a few months, that I do not want to rust. (freaky stuff like 2 ft long huge drills,
4" diameter taps etc) I know that bare steel rusts in my garage, no doubt due to condensation issues. I have a great rust preventative, CorrosionX HD, but it is expensive. Is there some cheap spray on stuff that does a okay job at temporary rust prevention. I have a lot of WD-40 already, that I am hoping is usable.
thanks
Ignoramus24818 wrote:

Do not use WD-40 - worse than useless for rust prevention. LPS-3 is the juice of choice.
Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm
Ken Davey writes:

Don't be silly. They're both nothing but petroleum distillates.

You know, I am not looking for the finest rust preventative, I am looking for the cheapest rust preventative that would hold up for about 4 months.
Ignoramus24818 writes:

OK, the lithium grease spray I mentioned if you want a little convenience, or a tub of petroleum grease or jelly if you want the cheapest possible thing.
WD-40 and LPS-3 will work fine if you keep then closed up tightly, as in a plastic food bucket. Otherwise they'll evaporate over some weeks.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

LPS-3 leaves a waxy coating. I have had steel coated thusly stand up to one year plus in the rain (150 inches annually) - not to mention being less than 25 feet fron salt water!
Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=A0B16F43-D670-4729-9219-D37D5B25B569

LPS-3 is not at all like WD-40. It leaves a sticky, waxy coating after the volatiles flash off. Works well, but it's messy.
http://www.lpslabs.com/Scripts/connections/gettechfile.asp?FileID 316
Ned Simmons
Ned Simmons writes:

Look at the MSDS's. Same stuff (petroleum distillates), in different weights.
Having used both products (although I wasn't using wd40 for rust protection), they are quite different. LPS3 does a great job, I use it both indoors and out in Maine.
The MSDS is intended to only identify hazards. One I looked at included "Non-hazardous ingredients, 10-20%". These can be quite significant. For instance: http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/departments/iaq/MSDS%20IEQ%20Team%20products/LPS%20Rust%20Inhibitor.pdf#search=%22lps%203%20ingredients%22 lists microcrystalline wax, 5-10%. I am pretty sure you won't find that in wd40.
Other things you won't find in wd40 or in the msds (they are not dangerous) are corrosion inhibitors. These are organic compounds added in small quantities (a couple of percent) that will keep corrosion from happening. I have no idea how they work, but they have excellent results. If you want to look into these, Ciba makes some good ones. The only one I've used before (from Ciba, Irgacore 153) seems to have been superseded.
http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/TDS/LPS%203.pdf
Use the msds for it's intended purpose, you get much better results.
Steve
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Steve Smith writes:

Nonsense.
The MSDS is intended to provide a legal disclosure to employees of *everything* they are being exposed to as a requirement of their employment.
Sometimes you see "non-hazardous ingredients, xx percent" listed, but that is a despicable evasion of dubious legality.
I doubt that any common corrosion inhibitors could be considered exempt from ingredients disclosure.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Richard, you clearly know so much about this that you aren't willing to listen. Maybe you should try both products as rust preventatives and report back to us. For myself, I don't enjoy pissing contests.
Steve
Steve Smith writes:

The personal attacks, such as the first line above, are yours. I'm just here to debate technical facts.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

Exactly - different weights: "Distillates (Petroleum), hydrotreated heavy *paraffinic*".
Or do you not draw a distinction between, for example, naphtha and Bunker oil?
Ned Simmons
Ned Simmons writes:

You must think that means "wax", which it doesn't.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

So they are both petroleum products. So is spindle oil and way oil, but they are not the same stuff.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org writes:

Not petroleum products, which could be virtually any organic chemical. Petroleum *distillates*, which means hydrocarbons that are in crude oil to start with and are separated by distillation.
You quibble on "same". These distillates only differ in weight.
The point being, there's no ingredient of different corrosion-inhibiting principle in one versus the other. The weight just affects how well they penetrate (lighter) versus hang around (heavier). It is still just something in the weight series of naphtha to kerosene to light oil to heavy oil to grease to wax.

Wd40 is Stoddard Solvent and vegitable oil. It leaves a nasty vegi varnish, with is NOT impervious to moisture and will allow water to get under it..and start rusting. I live in Swamp Cooler country..and I see literally hundreds of firearms that were liberally hosed down with WD..and the owners all wonder why they rust.
I was showing some of my collection yesterday to a visitor..and noticed rust growing on a number of my firearms, due to not having used the proper oil on them in the last year. Mea Culpa.
Gunner, who will be going over all of them in the next couple weeks with TriFlow after an Eds Red workover. This takes a couple days to do..sigh.
Gunner
"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Must only have 50 to 60 ;)
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 10:56:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Only "several"
<G>