Finished "above the waist" cleanup

It took me a lot of hours, but finally there is some visible progress. At least I can use it now.

Ignoramus10246

Good job! But I think you need to use some of those rubber gloves from Harbor Freight.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

I use Aveeno lotion with oats to treat my hands after this abuse (repeated washing and inadvertent exposure to oven cleaner), which works like magic. Gloves do not really make things better.

I use gloves for the really nasty stuff, like muriatic acid.

Ignoramus10246

Looks like a lot of elbow grease has been expended. Hope you have heat in your garage.

Wes

Wes

I normally do not heat my garage.

I have a homemade 10 kW heater that I use very occasionally, like when it is very cold and I need to work for an hour in the garage.

I try to keep the garage closed, and it is attached to the house, so condensation is not so bad. I try to use rust preventive oils where possible.

Right now, the lathe has a lot of bare metal exposed that I do not want to oil, plus I work in the garage on it a lot, so I just put a room heater in it to prevent rust and to make it a little more comfortable. Now it is at 40-45 degrees or so.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will make a final determination as to whether this lathe is usable as it is (which seems to be the case) and finish cleaning, so I could paint what is paintable and oil what is not paintable, then I can turn the room heater off.

Ignoramus14657

If you store an automobile in your garage, the heat can be rough on it. All that road salt works a bit harder to rust it.

Keep an eye on it come spring when the thaw comes.

I guess while you are doing the elbow grease thing that is warm enough.

So what are your plans as far as using it should you decide to keep it? Are you going to machine in the cold during winter?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

You had me worried that this post was regarding some "manscaping" project...

Reply to
Paul Hays

your garage.

I now feel lucky because I do not store automobiles in my garage.

Yes, it could be warmer, but it is OK

What other choices do I have, I think that I will machine in the cold and hot.

Ignoramus14657

I partitioned a portion of my garage so I could heat it for a reasonable cost. Something to think about.

I''m using googlegroups tonight since forte/easynews is down.

Wes

Reply to
Clutch