How was your Fourth?

I went ATVing, wheelied my ATV over on me, and got a crush fracture to my Ll vertebra. Four weeks in a walker, three months in a brace.
It's always something. Sheesh.
Steve
--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,

SteveB wrote:

What a bummer ! Mine was great , four days alone with my wife at our place in the Ozarks .
--
Snag
Though I did have to replace a bad accel pump diaphragm on the bike when I

We were to go to our cabin Saturday. sigh .........
Steve

Ouch! Best wishes for an easier recovery than estimated.
I finished the tweaking on this over the weekend. Drew out 7 diffusion welded billets, even repairing a few delaminations from heating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkUFgoU_LO0

I am impressed. Nice looking welds, too. Makes my caveman smashing rocks together process look a little outdated.
Steve

Thanks. I'm glad the welds don't look too bad. Did all the welding with my Millermatic 251 and ESAB 7100 Ultra wire. Thanks to Ernie for the advice. It did scorch up my welding jacket a bit. I'm glad I followed the advice of always using ear protection as I had few droplets hit my ear in some overhead welding postions.         Todd

Ear protection is on the top of my list. I've always used it, but not for the noise. I'm already on my third set of hearing aids, burning out my hearing from as many loud concerts in my youth as industrial noise. Knew a couple of fellows who had career ending hot dingleberries in the ear. All it takes is one good one to make a convert out of you.
You did a nice job on your machine. I want one.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

I went out to mow the lawn, and in short order it started raining on me.
I went inside to make lunch and in short order I got paged by work.
I started working on the work problem and in short order the storm knocked out the power.
Fortunately the UPSes kept things up while I ran out to start the generator. After that things calmed down a bit.

Major bummer Steve. I crushed L4-S1 and it sucks. Wear that brace even though it is about as comfortable as having being inserted into an Iron Maiden. It will help despite the discomfort. You will be back on your feet soon I hope and riding again (Heck, I do! but on motocross) Getting old sucks.. Hang in there buddy. Weld something cool to the walker at least. At least your here to write about it amigo.
Rob
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.
"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net> wrote in message

The box saved my ass.
And I AM going to get a picture of at least striking an arc in my walker and brace. I might be able to win a couple of drinks with it some day.
In the meantime, doing a lot of thinking.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

I broke my leg last year. Spiral fracture of the tibia and fibula. two plates and seventeen screws. The sitting and thinking part sucks worse than any pain.
Heal up.
--
John L. Weatherly
Nashville, Tennessee

I got caught doing something stupid. Something I know NOT to do. When I really want to be hard on myself, I just look in the mirror.
Steve
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 09:07:57 -0400, "John L. Weatherly"

When forced to sit and think...read.
Read a good book, read a couple dozen good books. It helps take your mind off the pain, the fuckup and may even teach you something.
Start off with Heiliein
Gunner, who after several back surgeries etc etc...read a lot.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.
Gunner Asch wrote:

I had a book waiting on me. Something about the meds or the general anesthesia would not allow me to focus my eyes on any one point for more than a little bit. Couldn't read, get on the computer, or watch TV for any length of time without feeling nauseated (literally not figuratively). I kicked the pills a week after surgery CT, but had the problem for several weeks.
My first day back at work I put a 5/8" punch through a 9/16" die on the ironworker instead of vice-versa. Oopsie!
--
John L. Weatherly
Nashville, Tennessee
SteveB wrote:

Good Luck on your recovery! I rode a two wheeler for 20 years, but I never trusted the ATV's.
BobH

Time to catch up on your reading...
If you're not living on the edge you're just taking up space......ED ......who has picked cactus spine out of road rash by the hour....