E 7016 electrode

I have some E 7016 electrodes and need to refresh why I got them. Have looked on the internet and not found anything that clearly explains what they are at least in terms of why one would choose them.

I know they are a low hydrogen rod sort of simular to E 7018 but without the iron powder in the flux. So I am thinking one might use them where you would use E 7018 , but where you have to start and stop a lot. That is they may be a lot easier to restart than E 7018.

While asking about electrodes............ I have not found anything on the internet about Nassau Polaris 18 electrodes. Can find Nassau and Polaris, but nothing about Polaris 18.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It creates less fumes.

Reply to
SteveB

7016's will run on AC. All the properties of a Basic (limestone-based) flux welding rod and you can run it on a simple robust hard-working AC welding transformer. Obviously, they run perfectly on DC too.

If I remember rightly - 7016's have less slag than 7018's so are better for some root-run and positional welding. I believe that for welding oil-rigs for the North Sea in the 1970's a special low-slag

7016 was developed to make root-running to code quality manageable.

Don't know why you don't hear of 7015 (low-slag no-iron-powder Basic electrode), when it isn't a problem for 7018's that only run on DC (some exceptions?).

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Probably because the average user's repertoire consists of 6 varieties of electrodes. Tops. Many fewer than that. So, unless you get into those exotic situations, you will never in your life even see one of the exotic rods.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The MSDS for the Polaris 18 electrode is listed on Rockmount Nassau=92s website:

, but it doesn=92t provide more detail. Maybe it=92s a discontinued product. They have an

800 number, so maybe a call to them will answer your question about its applications..
Reply to
Denis G.

I submit that there are really only two varieties, they are those that are free (or near free, like trade for other low value 'stuff") and those that require an exchange of real (?) money. The free ones (can) work for most everything we do, and the others should be reserved for critical or actual (real money) paying work.

If you are near where any real work is being done then a lot of 'stuff' falls off trucks.

When free, even exotics can be made to do quite simple work.

Never throw anything away, a real tradesman can always 'make do' with what they have available.

Just my .02, YMMV

Reply to
Private

B & H-7016 is a medium coated basic type hydrogen controlled electrode producing a tough and ductile weldmetal.

  • Ease of operation in all positions.
  • Smooth and stable arc which is easy to strike and restrike.
  • Easy deslagging.
  • Finally ripped bead with regular profile.
  • X-ray quality welds.
  • Weldmetal possess excellent mechanical properties and is highly resistant to cracking.

Thanks, I had looked at the Lincoln and Miller web sites , but did not find anything that explained why one would choose 7016. I think I must have gotten these rods after using some 7018 where the beads were very short and the material was thick( requiring many restrikes ) Either that or I got them at Boeing Surplus 8-) after they were chucked for being exposed to humidity.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

And very well said!

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

My observation is that if you throw it away, you will need exactly that in three days or less. It has happened enough times that now it's gospel, and my wife is accusing me of being a hoarder. But yet, she doesn't mind when I come up with something from "The Sanford Yard" (as she calls it) to use instead of going to that horribly expensive steel supplier. Picked up 800'

2.5" electrical underground PVC today for free. Plus eight sweeps. Now I can wire my shop/container area.

steve

Reply to
SteveB

Bravo Sir..bravo indeed!!!

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Picked up 800'

Forgot to mention, it was FREE.

Reply to
SteveB

Hey Dan,

I just happened to find about them in a downloadable pipe welding manual at Lincoln website. A little late but remembered this thread. It seems they are for root passes in pipe using low hydrogen electrode. Usually it seems cellulosic electrode is for root pass. Though this is for a more strong than the weakest pipes it seems. No 7018 in this section of the literature. Try one and see if it isn't a deep penetrating or fast freezing low hydrogen electrode. quote Low Hydrogen Electrodes for Pipe Welding Lincoln 16P (E7016) Specially designed for vertical up welding of pipe. The thin coating of the 3/32" (2.4 mm) size allows for its use in root pass welding. Can be used in grades X-52 through X-65. Because of its unique burn-off characteristics, it is recommended for welding of open joint gaps.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

snip

Sounds like a good read, PLEASE POST A LINK.

TIA

Reply to
Private

this link is on the page or a page about their version of 6010 or 5P

then you find this text which seems to paste real tiny buy maybe you have all your newsgroups in plain text so it is normal. For vertical up and vertical down pipe welding technique,

request Lincoln bulletin C2.420, Welding Pressure Pipelines.

upon putting C2.420 into their search box I highlighted this text out of one of the results and pasted it in.

What I copied straddles pages 32 and 33

I would expect using the basic technique you could amass quite a few similar pdf files in a folder which are much easier to find than figuring out how you found it last night. one might experiment with changing the numbers like 2410 and 2420 and see what you get.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

"Low slag" Basic so weld down in narrow groove isn't being choked with slag? In narrow groove - don't need a lot of slag to shield and shape weld bead?

Rich S.

Reply to
Richard Smith

Lots of good information (but could use a little proof-reading). Thanks for posting the link.

Reply to
Private

7016 welding rod is used for welding metal deck on to metal beams / arch spot weld or puddle welds start and stop welding thousands per floor. High rise buildings / metal building construction.
Reply to
Decker

Most Deck rod is 6022.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

7016's used at least here in Europe for root-running. 7016 thin flux = low slag which is not a problem in the root and prevents your root will not choke on vast amounts of slag. As I understand it and as seems right from practice.
Reply to
<void