Was given a new 90 AMP BUZZ BOX, what electrodes should I use ?

Hello there,

Got myself a cheap A$$ little Buzz Box to play with.... Only takes

1/16th and 5/32 electrodes. I don't necessarily want to use this as a 'Welder, Welder' but I wouldn't mind blowing through a few sticks using some 1/8th inch scraps and stuff.... Anyone have suggestions as to which sticks might work best for a cheap Buzz Box and Mild Steel ?

Cheers,

/Jman....

Reply to
Jman

3/32 6010
Reply to
Tim

Perhaps, but I always found them easier to run on AC than anything else.

Reply to
Tim

Reply to
RoyJ

Forgot to mention that most of the small 120volt buzz box welders have woefully low open circuit voltage, are quite hard to start the arc. A good welder can compensate, a newbie will find it hard to get things right when you are still learning.

I just re read the orig> 3/32 6011 NOT 6010

Reply to
RoyJ

Are you sure, I always use 6010 on dc reverse polarity. Aren't buzz boxes ac? The other thing I just found out is that it isn't recommended to cook the electrodes (cellulose like 6010) to expel water just get another sealed container.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

I have had good luck with both 6011 and 6010 on AC. You just get less penetration with 6010.

Reply to
Tim

OK,

Gotta love those cheap Chinese Welders ! The outside of the box says to use 1/16' and 5/32" electrodes but when I actually look at the manual inside the box, it says to use ONLY

1/16" and 3/32" Electrodes ! Sheesh.... Also the manual say NOT to use 6010 or 6011 at all..... It recommends using 6013 and 7014 rods. Too weird... Glad I got this thing for free ! Now I'm going to go out to the garage and see if I can keep things from catching on Fire ! Got a bunch of cheap no-name electrodes, along with a couple packages of Lincoln Rods with this thing (unopened). Do I need to warm these up before I use em' ? Humidity here is around 50% right now. Averages are 40% - 55% if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

/Jman...

Reply to
FC...

Personally, I'd use the 7014. You should be able to just use them as is. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

The manual is right in recommending 6013 and 7024. Those are not low hydrogen rods so do not go welding critical high strength steel weldments. 6013 and 7024 use cellulose flux which needs some moisture to be good for welding. So do not bother to warm up the rods or worry about keeping them from the air. Just do not get them wet.

Lincoln has a great web site with lots of information.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Hey thanks People,

That worked out great ! I burned through a bunch last night and was impressed at how easy it was to get a puddle going. The 6013 rods left a nice but of slag on top of the weld that broke off easily. The weld bead underneath was actually quite good and free from 'obvious porosity' too.... I'm still having some issues when it comes to 'striking an arc' (I get stuck a lot) but I assume I'll get better at it. I'm going to get some 1/16th rods today and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice !

Cheers,

/Jman...

Reply to
FC...

Be prepared for a much faster start and you will have to run much quicker. and get less puddle. Shrug..just the nature of a smaller rod..

I can weld just about anything..except 1/16"...I dont bother with it as it kicks my ass..so I go TIG or Mig.

Good luck!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Yeah,

I went out again this AM and I noticed that some of the thinner sticks were 'really hard' to get started ! I found a thread about cutting the sticks in half and that helped IMMENSELY ! Way, way easier to control for precise movements as the sticks aren't so DAMN floppy and bouncy (for lack of a better word) and the start seemed much better too ! Now I just have to find something TO MAKE with this welder..... Hmmmmm, might have to peruse the WEB a bit more.... :)

Cheers,

/Jman...

Reply to
FC...

Your welder doesn't have to find work, work will find your welder.

"ow, you have a welder, mind if I bring my mower over latter today, a bracket is broke on it"

If you do much around the home, you will find that you will be welding more and more, and bolting/screwing less and less. Sometimes you find out that you should of bolted something together instead of welding it together, when it come time to take it apart to fix it.

You will probably get to the point that it will be enough use to you, that you will take the time to get a better one.

It's like a drug. You get a small one and get a taste of it, and it just leaves you craving for a bigger fix. Next thing you know, you will have a

1000lb industrial welder in your workshop. You have been warned.
Reply to
N9WOS

Yesssss,

Understanding that 'needy' feeling quite well. I stopped over at a Copper Smith Place that makes Range Hoods, Tiles, Sinks and such.... WOW ! That was some Freakin' amazing work.... I've never seen such beautiful welds in Copper... Really inspiring stuff. Makes me uh,.... want a TIG welder though.

I bought a crapload of different types of Rods today for the Buzz Box.... Will Hopefully blast through a bunch by the week-end.

Cheers,

/Jman...

Reply to
FC...

Two other tips for a new rod: it's okay to steady the rod with your other hand so it's not wobbling all over the place (assuming you have good gloves). And if you tap off just the bit of coating on the end, so that you can see bare rod, it can be easier (also works for restarting rods that like to burn back inside the coating). --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Two other tips for a new rod: it's okay to steady the rod with your other hand so it's not wobbling all over the place (assuming you have good gloves). And if you tap off just the bit of coating on the end, so that you can see bare rod, it can be easier (also works for restarting rods that like to burn back inside the coating). --Glenn Lyford

That's a good tip for restarting a partially used as well. Scratching it on a concrete floor, or other abrasive and ungrounded surface, can be a real help.

Reply to
Tim

Try the sledgehammer test. In my experience 6013 can look like you are doing great but really not something you would want to trust life or limb to.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

----------------------------------

Hell, I was a 'little worried' touching that rod once it got stuck a few times... It was heating up pretty good ! I didn't really know you could do that to be honest... I also did notice that the FLUX did end up coating the end of the rod after the Arc was broken. I kept a small but coarse file handy and that REALLY helped with the start- ups. Good advice.... Thanks !

/Jman...

Reply to
FC...

Yes, you bring up a good point.

I don't think I'll be building anything that needs to be 'stressed' all that much as most of my stuff is going to be pretty much 'immobile'. However, I would like to make something like a small utility trailer or 'functional item' down the road. I'm a little unclear on the 'Sledgehammer test' though.... How does one know HOW MUCH force you are actually hitting the weld with ? For example, how much approximate force does one give to a piece of welded angle IRON when 'whacking' it whilst it's firmly planted in a vice ? 500 lbs of force ? 5000 lbs of force ? Is there a 'tried and true' way to find out that your 'weld is good' without taking it to a pressure testing facility or professional welder or something.... ? Just curious about that.

Cheers,

/Jman...

Reply to
FC...