out of position spray arc

I have heard that spray arc (on mild steel) must be done in flat position unless pulsed and that is what our testing has shown as well. My rep says otherwise and I was wondering what other people's experience was. Also one of my students asked how it is that the pulsed spray seems to defy gravity and find its way to the joint. I could not give him a good answer. Take a shot at it?

Reply to
ben

It has to do with surface tension and chill factor. Molten steel is not like water. It is more like honey. The trick of all out of position welding is balancing weld speed against surface tension and how fast the bead can cool to solid.

By pulsing the weld, the chill effect will solidify the weld between pulses.

MIG Spray is really liquid.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

But neither honey or water defies gravity. Why does the pulsed MIG go so weetly out of position?

Reply to
ben

Thick liquids do defy gravity for a short period of time. It is all about time. If you can freeze a drip before it leaves the surface then it stays in place.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I am going to be selling my Maxstar 200 DX with 58 hours on it. I have the need for a Dynasty now and cannot justify having both. Any reasonable offer

1500.00 or better will be considered. I will take offers until March 1 and highest bidder will get it. Email me direct at snipped-for-privacy@bak.rr.com if you are interested. Will be posting it on ebay shortly. Will send pics on request, as well as serial number if you are interested.
Reply to
jessp

You will not get your asking price on ebay. You want way too much for it.

Reply to
Ignoramus13610