Questions weld cert. definitions

Greetings all,

TPTB at work have decided that they want us to be certified, in house certified to be exact. If someone could help me/us out with some definitions and/or brief explanations it would be greatly appreciated. (?) denotes my/our questions.

3G(?) & 4G(?) Structural Test. The material is 1/2" Carbon plates, 60 deg. bevel, 1/8" gap, approx. 6" long. Process is GMAW(MIG), .035 solid wire, 90%Ar/8%O2/2%CO2 Gas(?), unsure of voltage/wire speeds(?). One position is to be done using short arc(?), the other in spray arc(?). Why would you even attempt to short arc 1/2"?

A possibly completely seperate question was raised concerning this matter, can we weld parts, in this case square tubing, in a set manner then have the weld tested(X-ray and/or stress) to meet a standard of some sort? i.e. can I weld a T joint out of tubing, have it X-rayed for integrity and then bent until broke and get paperwork that says it can stand X amount of stress? Or is that too simple?

Thanks in advance for any and all help, this is about the only group I post in that you can ever get a straight answer out of.

Regards, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

If you are certified then you have to adopt a standard code such as AWS. It would be wise to first certify/qualify the shop to AWS first. Once you have a designated welding engineer ( can be consultative) and a qualified welding supervisor then you qualify weld procedures such as your tubing connections. To do it right costs dollars!

You are testing vertical and overhead but no flat or horizontal? Odd that you are jumping ahead so far. Spray arc can only be used on the flat and horizontal with care. You would not do positional welds in spray arc. Your positional work would be done in short circuit transfer or possibly globular transfer.

Or >is that too simple?

If your tube joint does not qualify as a prequalified joint as outlined in the code book then your shop has to test out the procedure, That is why you have a consulting welding engineer.

It is an expensive exercise but required in order to qualify to bid on proper jobs. Try the AWS site for particulars.

Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Oh dear.

3G and 4G refer to welding positions, eg:
For your specific joint in square tubing, you're going to need a welding procedure detailing all the parameters; material, joint type, thickness, welding position(s), filler material, amps, volts, etc etc.

Usually, for welding *procedure* qualifications, you need to have destructive and non-destructive tests done.

I suggest you get hold of the aforementioned AWS D1.1, or ASME IX (pron. ASME nine). You could also ask your weld consumables maker about weld procedures.

Reply to
mb

Welding certs vary by state, too.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You'll really want to know under which code you expect to work. Others have responded with the American Welding Society, AWS D1.1 the structural welding code for steel. It's a start. The totally generic specification for welding procedure and welder performance qualifications is AWS B2.0. If you're planning to do work for the US Military, then that's a whole 'nother set of specifications.

I'm assuming that you're writing from some place in the USA. Other countries have similar societies. I'm only familiar with the one in the US and only slightly familiar with the Canadian Welding Bureau.

Your management staff may want to contact a consultant who will set you up with written welding procedures, qualify them if necessary or buy them as standard procedures, train the welders, have them perform qualification testing in accordance with the standard and set up a maintenance of qualification program. Having someone on the staff become certified as a Certified Welding Inspector might be useful as well. Your insurance indemnifier may want to play a role in this too.

Contacting the AWS for a consultant in your area would be a first step. It's not cheap. But if TPTB are planning on staying in business it wouldn't be a bad idea. You can also find out who in your area has the local AWS library. The AWS is headquartered in Miami Fla, but there are volunteer sections in many areas of the country and each section is supposed to maintain a section lihrary. There you should be able to take a look at the references and see what you need.

John Gullotti