Sinking !

Heat sinking , to be precise . Got the B.A.D.'s (big ass diodes , 275a @

600v) in the mail , and am working on some heat sinkage . I have some 2" X 2" X 3/16" aluminum angle I plan on bolting into a T section (the diode will bolt through the doubled area) . A 3" section of that T will give me about 35 square inches of radiating surface . With convective cooling should that be enough for around 175 amps of DC current ? At that level , the duty cycle is only 20% ... I'm also wondering what to use as insulating standoffs from the case . I sure don't want anything that might melt if things get a bit too warm ! The case will be 20 or 22 ga. sheet metal , since I've got some around .
Reply to
Snag

RoyJ

Should be enough. Be sure to put heatsink compound in the angle joints as well as under the diodes. Porcelin standoffs would work well. Failing aquiring that I have had good luck with nylon bolts. If it gets hot enough to melt a 5/16" nylon bolt the diodes are already toast.

Reply to
Glenn