Another question on Superglue...

Okay, I went out an bought two kinds of superglues, based on the answer to my last question. I got the "Zap CA", thin consistency, and the "Zap A Gap", medium consistency glue. I'm just about ready to put the fuselage together on my Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, after spending much time on detailing the cockpit and getting it to look pretty good. My question is, how do you apply the superglue to join two pieces together? I pretty much know that you've got to use an applicator (paper clip, X-acto blade end, etc. etc.) to apply the glue from a small amount you place in a lid or something like that. I've heard a lot about this "capillary action" principle, and was wondering what is involved with that? Do you hold both parts together tightly and apply the drop of glue to the outside of the joint? Do you hold the parts slightly apart? What about the portions of the fuselage that have close to flat mating surfaces, like the tail? And one of my biggest questions, if you apply the glue using this "capillary action" principle, how do you prevent it from going places you don't want it to go, like into recessed panel lines? Sorry about the questions, I've just never used superglue before, and I don't want to mess this one up too much!

Reply to
Paul

I agree with Jim, for a plastic fuselage better use a plastic cement, unless you have special needs, such as adding strength to a weak joint or having to glue dissimilar stuff (resin, photoetched parts and so on) that won't stick with plastic cement).

Anyway the best way to use superglue is to place a few drops on a disposable container or surface (I usually use a glass paint bottle turned upside down) and then use a toothpick as a glue applicator. I prefer the thick superglue anyway because it gives you just a few moments to align parts (and you can use it also as a filler), while the thin superglue bonds as soon as you join the parts.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Yuri

STOP !!!

Do NOT use superglue here !!!

Use Tenax, Pro Weld, or something similar.

Use the superglue to fix any seam problems AFTER gluing with regular glue. And then be prepared to sand the superglue as soon as what you applied to the seam has had a chance to set up. Usually just a few minutes.

Using superglue on major plastic assemblies is just asking for major trouble !

AM

Reply to
AM

Like others have said... do *NOT* use "super glue" for major assemblies on plastic kits. Cyanoacrylates actually have a very *low* "sheer-strength", as compared to other adhesives. Think of it like a refrigerator magnet. The magnet may be difficult to pull *away* from the fridge...but can still be easily slid across the surface, and even off the edge. (I know..."scientifically" a poor analogy, but it does illustrate the observed physical traits). This is one reason why many modelers like to use it for small, delicate parts. If such areas are subject to shock or accident...the bond will hopefully break, before the part breaks.

Reply to
Greg Heilers