Cast Iron Rust Prevention?

My wife bought this bird bath that is made out of cast iron. Not really sure if it is meant to be a "practical" bird bath or not....it rusts almost instantaneously when it gets wet (of course...especially the bowl where the water collects...)

I tried putting like 3 coats of clear laquer on it...and that seemed to have absolutely no affect whatsoever. Is there a rust prevention product I could use in this case...one that is clear so as not to change to appearance of the bird bath?

Todd

Reply to
Todd Rearick

Fill the bath with phosphoric acid?

Reply to
ATP

Todd Rearick wrote: (clip) Is there a rust prevention product I could use in this case...one that is clear so as not to change to appearance of the bird bath? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't know about clear, but this is what I suggest. Line the bowl with fibreglass/resin, like you would use on a boat. You might add some lampblack to the resin so it does not look like a fibreglass lining. I would prime the rest with a good rust resistant primer, and paint it black. A flat or satin finish would probably look more natural on cast iron than gloss.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman