unobtrusive (transparent) permanent coating to prevent rust?

I have some chromed plated fixtures that, due to sloppiness on the part of the manufacturer, tend to rust at one edge. These are chromed steel. The manufacturer has replaced the offending part twice, but I expect that it will rust a third time. The rust occurs in a place on an edge where the base metal is left rough from a cutting operation before the chrome plating is applied.

Is there some sort of transparent coating (maybe an epoxy?) that I could brush on which would prevent rust from occurring and which wouldn't hurt the appearance of the fixtures?

Reply to
adrian

Wax. In the form of Boeshield or other spray-on rust protectants. Nothing stops steel from rusting forever, even chrome, though.

You don't say what kind of fixture .. are these kitchen/bath fixtures? If so, then appearance is really important, and you might go to a clear lacquer.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Rusteloum makes a clear enamel. It tends to be very glossy looking which you may like or dislike. Krylon makes a clear coating too, but I have not used it.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

krylon makes a rattle can clear lacquer. most anything you spray on will yellow over time to some extent.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

The name escapes me at the moment, but a long while back I had the opportunity to dissassemble, cleanup , bead blast, refurbish/overhaul and reassemble and setup the only existing line that produces the infamous EX-LAX choclate flavored treat ;-) It was originally chrome in a lot of places, but most wsa painted white. Well chrome flakes and white flakes of paint stand out pretty bad in a chocolate colored product, so we removed all loose chrome and all of the white and sprayed it all with a 2 part clear epoxy coating, which was pretty darn pricey back then, but it was virtually indestructible once cured, and it was surprising how well it held up even on chromed items. It was packed in square 1 gal cans with a predominately green label with a yellow logo and yellow printing. I would probbaly clean off rust and coat with a 2 part poly or epoxy coating. LAcquar tends to scrap off pretty easy.

Reply to
Roy

These are bathroom fixtures. The area that seems to be susceptible to rust is quite small. If I use a spray I won't be able to target just the trouble area---I'll have to do the whole thing, which I think will be troublesome. Can spray paints be sprayed into a container and then brushed on?

Would just any epoxy do?

Is there an epoxy that looks like chrome? If I can buff the cured epoxy it to a mirror polish so it blends with the chrome that would actually work, I think.

The things start to rust in 6 months in the bathroom. I think I should be able to do better than that. How long should chromed steel last in a bathroom environment?

Reply to
adrian

Wurth has a clear coating spray that I've used in automotive chrome applications. Weathers well. Not for exhaust parts, though. Google Wurth distributor for your area, maybe yo'uve got someone local.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well if its such a tiny area, go look in the cosmetics section of most any drug store or wally world for some chrome or silver metallic nail polish, and also some clear coat. I used some nail polish to highlight some items on my tractor when I could not find the model paint and its still there after many years of being in the sun and rain......stil looks pretty good to. Heck it takes months for it to wear off my wifes fingers and toes so no reason not to expect it not to last on such a small area thats not submerged in water, detergent etc all the time....

Reply to
Roy