Cheap temporary rust prevention

Vaseline. Cheap. plentiful, easy to clean off. On a dry day, smear your tools with it and put them in a plastic bag.

Reply to
daniel peterman

LPS-3 leaves a waxy coating. I have had steel coated thusly stand up to one year plus in the rain (150 inches annually) - not to mention being less than

25 feet fron salt water!

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

If you want them to rust, spray them down with WD40 and then give em a good wipedown with rags. Then spray 'em again.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Thank you. I will try just dissolving cosmoline in some organic solvent and using that on a rag, I have 25 lbs of cosmoline.

Ignoramus17274

Here's what I ended up doing. I made an "oily rag" by, drumroll, oiling a rag with HD40 engine oil. I wiped all surfaces that I wanted protected, with that oily rag. The oil is quite thick.

Ignoramus17274

I use LPS1 (that's a # 1 on the end). I managed to get it in a 20 (or

28) Oz pump spray bottle, which they may not sell anymore. I guess you could get your own pump spray bottle at the hardware store. It also comes in various size bottles and aerosol cans. I swear by the stuff to clean and dewater tools that have been sprayed with machining coolant, as well as anything that gets wet by accident. This stuff is just a couple $ for a small container, and works very well for me. Most of the machine shop supply places carry it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You must think that means "wax", which it doesn't.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Not petroleum products, which could be virtually any organic chemical. Petroleum *distillates*, which means hydrocarbons that are in crude oil to start with and are separated by distillation.

You quibble on "same". These distillates only differ in weight.

The point being, there's no ingredient of different corrosion-inhibiting principle in one versus the other. The weight just affects how well they penetrate (lighter) versus hang around (heavier). It is still just something in the weight series of naphtha to kerosene to light oil to heavy oil to grease to wax.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Nonsense.

The MSDS is intended to provide a legal disclosure to employees of

*everything* they are being exposed to as a requirement of their employment.

Sometimes you see "non-hazardous ingredients, xx percent" listed, but that is a despicable evasion of dubious legality.

I doubt that any common corrosion inhibitors could be considered exempt from ingredients disclosure.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

That's overpriced calcium chloride, which you'll find is much cheaper at the pool store.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Wd40 is Stoddard Solvent and vegitable oil. It leaves a nasty vegi varnish, with is NOT impervious to moisture and will allow water to get under it..and start rusting. I live in Swamp Cooler country..and I see literally hundreds of firearms that were liberally hosed down with WD..and the owners all wonder why they rust.

I was showing some of my collection yesterday to a visitor..and noticed rust growing on a number of my firearms, due to not having used the proper oil on them in the last year. Mea Culpa.

Gunner, who will be going over all of them in the next couple weeks with TriFlow after an Eds Red workover. This takes a couple days to do..sigh.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Must only have 50 to 60 ;)

Reply to
clutch

Hooray! They finally got with the web technology. I have been wanting to get some of their products for quite a while but last time I looked at their web site no provision to order on line. I have used Kroil at last two places of employment over about 25 yrs or so. Retired and just can't seem to make phone calls or write orders and all that bother. :-) Their adds. use to come on a "little strong" but it realy does work. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Only "several"

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Well I happen to believe there is a difference. LPS-3 meets Mil-PRF-16173E. I could not find any mil spec listed on the WD-40 web site, but I believe WD-40 used to meet Mil-C-23411.

When I was work>

Reply to
dcaster

No. The qualification "paraffinic" does not mean wax or waxiness.

Housewives have taken to calling canning wax "paraffin", but that is a corruption of the language.

Canning wax came from beehives or other plant/animal sources until the

19th century, when petroleum wax came along, and the innovative product was properly disclosed to be "paraffinic wax" versus what was more common up until that time, such as "beeswax". The term "paraffinic" identified it as a chain hydrocarbon coming from petroleum. Over time the wax product itself came to be called "paraffin", because nothing else in the household had that adjective, and people ignorantly assumed it must mean "wax".

In Europe, a similar process has corrupted the word "paraffin" to mean a very different common item: kerosene. This is because lamp oil used to come from non-petroleum sources like whales, and when petroleum distillates came to be marketed as substitutes in the 19th century, they were identified as "paraffin oil", as opposed to whale oil or whatever, and that got ignorantly shortened to "paraffin".

So if you ask an American housewife for paraffin, she'll hand you some canning wax made from petroleum.

If you ask a German frau for paraffin, she'll hand you a jug of kerosene.

If you ask a petroleum chemist for paraffin, he'll give you a puzzled look, because it is a collective term for a certain hydrocarbon structure, not a specific substance.

If an MSDS lists something as "paraffinic", you can be sure it means in the proper petroleum-chemistry sense.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Don't know what "cheap" means to you nor what kind of time you have before you need to store theings but....

We have used the SFG 350 before (had it for a different purpose) and in addition to being a food grade lubricant, it also works as a short term rust inhibitor. It's basically mineral oil with silicone.

There may be a better rust inhibitor on the site if you search a little deeper. With the SFG 350, I find that it is great for wiping machine tables and such that will sit for a while...by the time you get back to them, you can see no "oil" or similar coating whatsoever and I haven't seen any rusting. Some people may have problems with the silicone content mixing with cooling fluids and/or interfering with post finishing operations (coatings) and such but we haven't had a problem at all

Last time I bought (admittidly years ago), 5 gallons was 65 bucks....5 gallons is enough for most people's lifetime.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

Koz, thank you. The deed is done by now -- I have used regular HD40 (thick) engine oil and simply liberally applied it to those big drills and such, with a rag. I did same with all my angle iron stock as well, which used to rust during winter. I will see if the stock I got this year, is going to rust any less.

Ignoramus8260

Well, if I'd spray 'em with whatever rust/corrosion preventer that is at the local hardware store. I know Home Depot or Lowes carries something specifically for preventing corrosion, and it seems to work well. I don't remember the name of the stuff, though.

If I had an air compressor avaiable I'd mix up some parafin wax and solvent, and spray it all on myself through a little venturi-style sprayer.

For months in a garage isn't too big of a deal, as long as the garage is in decent condition, so I wouldn't worry about ti too much. If you want to, check on your tools once a month or so. If there is a problem, then re-spray. I'd think even WD-40 would work for a month in a garage.

Reply to
jpolaski

I've already agreed with you on that. But according to the reference I supplied, which you snipped out, heavy paraffinic compounds *are* waxy. Here it is again.

paraffinic hydrocarbon The group of hydrocarbons consisting of linear molecules with the formula CnH2n+2. Methane, CH4, is the simplest member. Higher members, starting at about C18, are wax-like and are called paraffin.

Interesting essay on the history of the word "paraffin", which has slight relevance to the issue at hand.

  • LPS-3 contains "Distillates (Petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic."

  • Heavy paraffinic hydrocarbons have a waxy consistency.

  • LPS-3 is a viscous liquid that leaves a waxy coating on surfaces to which it is applied.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons