Update on PB Penetrant/frozen drill chuck

Awl--

Goodgawd....

The PB peeple sent me a gal of PB *plus* a metal spray can for stream/aerosol type spraying; $25 + ups. Was considering the Kroil, but I'd already spend a bunch of $$ on penetrants.

Soaked the chuck for 3 days; no go.

Put the slipping pipe wrenches on--no go. Used big-assed channel-locks--no go.

Arc welded a bead on the outside of the chuck, put the pipe wrenches on, no go.

Put three-foot pipes on sed pipe wrenches, no go.

Acetylene'd the goddamm chuck, nice smoke/firestorm, no go.

Cooled it down somewhat w/ WD 40, re-soaked it while pretty hot in the PB for a cupla hours

Put pipe wrenches back on.... STILL no go!

Put three foot extensions on pipe wrenches--FINALLY it gave! goodgawd....

The forces were so large that the bigger pipe wrench actually *wore down* the bead I welded on!

Amazingly, the chuck is "freeing up" as we speak!

The PB is a bit darker than it was. Should I keep this stuff as "used PB"? Any ideas on the useful lifespan of this type stuff?

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Oh yeah, the PB peeple said their stuff was a lubricant as well, like WD 40, which surprised me. Any opinions on that?

I'm not really a fan of WD-40--don't really know why. I just found some

*spray 3-in-1*, which I've been looking for for years now. At least 3-in1 seems to *stay*; WD-40 seems to just disappear!

HD carries something called Corrosion Pro, which sort of resembles motorcycle chain lubricant. I bought a second can, so I think I liked it--not sure.... ahm so confused....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I've had Kroil work where other stuff including PB won't. Used PB makes great candle oil for scenting the house with that wonderful aroma.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just one: WD-40 is not a lubricant, was not designed to be, but persists in being used as one despite the honest efforts of the company.

See above. 3-in-1 is a owned by WD-40. That aerosol product is the lubricant everyone expects WD-40 to be, and they can't hardly give it away.

Rex B

Reply to
Rex B

Well, reading the gallon label sure does *lead* one to conclude "lubricant", even tho it does not use the word.

Yeah, I came home *without* spray 3-in-1 oil, as the guy mistakenly took

3-in-1 penetrant for the oil. Looking up the stuff in his books, he could not find 3-in-1 spray oil, either. Indeed, WD40 owns 3in1. Anyone in fact SEE any 3-in-1 spray oil around lately?

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

K-mart (least in my area) carries SuperLube

Gunner

Gunner