How to fight rust

First, I live in Las Vegas. Yes, we do have rust here. But only the surface variety. That said, I leave my band saw and drill press outside. They are usually covered, but have gotten a light coating of surface rust. Every once in a while, I clean it off with an electric wire brush, and it looks good for a while.

Is there anything I can spray on there to keep the nice bare metal look? Some sort of clear spray?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

joelblatt

I just sue heavy oil like gear oil, works well

Ignoramus29180

LPS-3..but it does tend to collect dust. I have the same problem..and in the same sort of climate.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

I use Sheath on guns and machines. I buy it by the gallon from Brownell's. BTW the name has changed to "Barricade", great stuff. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Do you find that it works better than boiled linseed oil? It smells like boiled linseed oil to me, maybe thinned with a solvent.

Reply to
Don Foreman

This stuff works pretty good for me.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian
[posted and mailed]

"Steve B" wrote in news:y8d%g.1972$BC6.1031@fed1read01:

Here's a page wherein the guy liked Boeshield T-9 the best. His environment is slightly harsher to bare steel than yours (or mine, central Wyoming).

I don't know if you will like this stuff, but his test has convinced me to go do a Froogle search for sources. Between the bikes, the firearms, and the tools I could probably use a case of this stuff.

Dan

Reply to
Banjodan

I found Boeshield T-9 at a bike shop in Minneapolis. It's kinda pricey, but it does work well.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Here's one where they didn't like T-9:

Steve