How to fight rust

First, I live in Las Vegas. Yes, we do have rust here. But only the surface variety. That said, I leave my band saw and drill press outside.
They are usually covered, but have gotten a light coating of surface rust. Every once in a while, I clean it off with an electric wire brush, and it looks good for a while.
Is there anything I can spray on there to keep the nice bare metal look? Some sort of clear spray?
Steve
I use Midway USA shooters supplies <http://www.midwayusa.com/ Tipton Rust Guard Rust Preventative 6 oz Aerosol or BirchWood-Casey's Sheath - both are probably available form most gun stores. The liquid
Sheath (as opposed to the aerosol oil) dries to a non oily film and works great, the others leave an oily film. Joel in Rust central (Florida East coast) =================Product #: 248829 Steve B wrote:

I just sue heavy oil like gear oil, works well

I use Sheath on guns and machines. I buy it by the gallon from Brownell's. BTW the name has changed to "Barricade", great stuff. Tom
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 03:35:32 GMT, "Tom Wait"

Do you find that it works better than boiled linseed oil? It smells like boiled linseed oil to me, maybe thinned with a solvent.

LPS-3..but it does tend to collect dust. I have the same problem..and in the same sort of climate.
Gunner
This stuff works pretty good for me.
http://www.hardware4.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode 5801
Randy

[posted and mailed]

Here's a page wherein the guy liked Boeshield T-9 the best. His environment is slightly harsher to bare steel than yours (or mine, central Wyoming). http://www.accuratereloading.com/rustest.html
I don't know if you will like this stuff, but his test has convinced me to go do a Froogle search for sources. Between the bikes, the firearms, and the tools I could probably use a case of this stuff.
Dan
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:57:45 -0500, Banjodan <danielbattribcspdotcom> wrote:

I found Boeshield T-9 at a bike shop in Minneapolis. It's kinda pricey, but it does work well.