Mysterious milling machine accessory

I can always use 40 or 30 taper horizontal arbors.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

According to Ignoramus24818 :

Those are arbors for horizontal spindle milling machines. The nut on the end is unscrewed, some of the spacer collars are slid off, the milling cutter (like a small diameter saw blade -- of varying thicknesses and some with side teeth in addition to the edge teeth). These are sometimes called "conventional milling cutters" to distinguish them from endmills. You can also drive milling cutters designed for cutting gear teeth as well.

The outer end has a bearing which goes into a support arm to add rigidity -- and longer ones sometimes have bearing spacers for some of the spacers -- so extra support can be supplied at a midpoint, or somewhere near a heavily loaded cutter.

Some arbors have a keyway in them, and the key slides in the whole length to keep the cutters from rotating under load. I see the keyway in the end of the bottom one in the photo, and the key in the space between two of the spacers.

These two are different sizes -- because the cutters have differing sizes of center holes.

Looking at the size, I would guess that these are #50 NMTB. I use #30 and #40.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols