Removing Old Decals

I'm 3/4 of the way through dealing with the really old built kits that have been hiding in boxes for 30 or more years. There are a few that I want to attempt to restore while I break down the rest for parts or just trash them. One common problem is old decals need to go and some of the old striping / detailing tape needs to go. Is there an easy way of getting this stuff off without destroying the models?

Reply to
Count DeMoney

try some white vinegar first.

Reply to
someone

In the past I've been able to use Easy-Off brand oven cleaner with some success. It also tends to work at helping to disolve paint too, so be careful what you're putting it on. It works fairly quickly as I recall, about half an hour's time for larger USAF National in- signia. I have to admit though, this is over twenty years ago that I did that! :)

Hope this helps!

-andyh

Reply to
hill4448

Reply to
eyeball

If none of the other methods work, there is always #600 or #1000 sandpaper. It will take top layers of finish off, but with enough control to prevent going too deep.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

If I were you, I'd pick one and preserve it the way it was built. It's a convenient way to see where you came from and how far along you have gotten. I'm keeping one that I built in '65 the way it is. I have only pieces from anything earlier.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Bill,

I agree with you and have kept several built kits, just as they are, that are pushing 40 years old. Most of those couldn't be built again simply because they haven't been available for many years.

There are a few that I am struggling with. There are a couple of Ford GT's, a Shelby Cobra and a Mercury Cougar that was produced in a metallic red color, etc. that are in pretty good shape (considering how young I was when I built them). If I can get the old decals and partially attached pinstripe tape off, they would look pretty good (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Ah, a metallic red Cougar. Has to be the annual '73 kit. I built one years ago and left the plastic colour showing. It must have been sold in the '77 sell-off.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller