Removing old glue

I picked up some vintage kits and want to disassemble them to rebuild/restore them. Is there any way to to remove the old tube type glue etc without too much damage ? Suggestions welcome

thanks

Reply to
tlmodel

Best luck I ever had was to put the model in a freezer for a day and then GENTLY pry the pieces apart using an exacto blade. Just taker your time, and refreeze the pieces between sessions (and there will be several). Good luck!

Reply to
The Old Man

Best luck I ever had was to put the model in a freezer for a day and then GENTLY pry the pieces apart using an exacto blade. Just taker your time, and refreeze the pieces between sessions (and there will be several). Good luck!

Reply to
The Old Man

That works even better if you put the model in a Ziploc baggie along with a teaspoon or two of water.

If that doesn't work apply some mineral spirits (white spirits in the UK) to the glue joints - that will often loosen them after a few minutes.

If that trick fails apply some bottled Testors liquid cement instead (other liquid cements usually evaporate too quickly).

If all the above fail you'll have to resort to the careful application of brute force... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski