1994 Camaro Ignition Switch (lock cylinder)

We have a situation here in central Florida, Tampa Bay area. The keys for a 1994 Camaro were lost while riding a roller coaster at an amusement park and the Chevy dealerships are not helping. They tell us their computers are down (have been down for several days, no ETR) and they cannot provide the code a locksmith needs to cut a replacement key for this vehicle.

Our 2nd alternative is replacing the lock cylinder, the local parts store can provide one for $40 but defeating the receiver for the microchip in the original key becomes the issue. What other hidden gotchas do I need to be aware of while replacing that lock cylinder?

Shiva, I'd really like to get your feedback on this. Alternately, how many locksmiths on this group are in the Tampa Bay area and are willing to help an 18-yo kid, my stepson? Offgroup replies welcome.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck M.

Sure, but what about the microchip in the original key and its receiver in the steering column?

Or does the aftermarket key come with new electronics also? The parts store couldn't answer that question, we won't know until the part arrives tomorrow.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck M.

We do these all the time in Daytona, Florida and are experianced automotive locksmiths. If I had to make a key for your vehicle a keycode will not get in the way of getting the job done properly so for us it is not an issue. This is a VATS vehicle.

Runs around $230.00 in our part of the State for making an original key from stratch. The physical key has to be made, the security system must be interrogated and then the car will start. Making a key takes a while(40 to 90 minutes) so be aware. An experianced automotive locksmith can help you in your part of the State. If someone can't do the job without a code then they probably do not have the tools/knowledge to do the job properly.

AUBP

Reply to
Dennis

We do these all the time in Daytona, Florida and are experianced automotive locksmiths. If I had to make a key for your vehicle a keycode will not get in the way of getting the job done properly so for us it is not an issue. This is a VATS vehicle.

Runs around $230.00 in our part of the State for making an original key from stratch. The physical key has to be made, the security system must be interrogated and then the car will start. Making a key takes a while(40 to 90 minutes) so be aware. An experianced automotive locksmith can help you in your part of the State. If someone can't do the job without a code then they probably do not have the tools/knowledge to do the job properly.

AUBP

Reply to
Dennis

Okay, I've been reading what I can Google on Pass-Key II systems and dayam. Without knowing which of the 15 key blanks to get the new key cut on, this doesn't seem likely to happen. I suppose that's a big part of why there haven't been any real replies so far, no offense meant to 'Key. Information on defeating that seems to be as rare as hen's teeth.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck M.

Based on what I've been reading, that doesn't sound so out of line but sticker shock still exists. I've been skimming the "modern locksmithing" thread also and wow. Just wow.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck M.

its a chip key? UNLESS you can get INTO GM codes, you are SOL.. the lock has NO code stamped on it..it cannot be taken apart either to get to the wafers.. if you do get the code from GM, have a mechanical key made FIRST.. if that turns then you should also get the chip code as well, and then be good to go..

IF you stick a replacement in, which can be done, then you MUST HAVE someone with the chip code interragor to find which of the

14 values it is.. the lock in my area is the $40 area.. but, removing the air bag, etc, is where the $ rack up real quick.. IF the lock is NOT the original one to the car, then GM codes ar NO help EXCEPT for the vat value..

DO NOT cut the wires and 'splice' at the top, like I have seen several places do.. run them down the column, saves possible grief later on, and I dont care HOW good you solder.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

with the vat tool in hand, its 'up to 1 hours' time to find WHICH value it is.. try a value on the plug in box, wait 4 minutes, try next.. etc..its NOT fast.. and i did NOT know GM code computer was down.. something odd there.. cause we got one 2 days back..and it worked fine.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

The last one of these I did costs 75.00 No trip, the guy had a physical key(VATS pellet destroyed by fire) Took about 40 min. Locally would be about 120.

I don't think VIN code call-in goes back to that year.

97 or later.

Anybody who calls themself an automotive locksmith should be able to make a key-WITHOUT A CODE. The code is the easier way, of course.

get extra copies- I know- I got a kid too.

Later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

89 on some, 90 on everything, unless they FORGOT to record that particular one.. FORD is 97 and newer ONLY.. and GM HAS changed procedures now and there is no easy way around it, to get codes.. but for these, in 15+ years, only had a couple they did not have the vat code recorded for..

matter of 'liability',, to me.. the lock is 'welded' together'.. and taking it apart to find out the actual cuts, GIVEN its finger weakness to me is a waste of time.. the lock itself is relatively cheap now $ wise, ($30 at my local parts store to anyone) and its much easier and 'safer' to me, to just replace and not worry about a call back in a month when it quits reading the new keys you made.. makes it easier to warranty it back from the parts store as well, if thats where you got it..its called CMA.. plus ANOTHER point making it safer to just replace.. back when these were pretty common, they started going bad about

80k miles on the car.. the fingers OR the wire would go bad.. so my FIRST question to anyone about this is HOW MANY MILES??? then go get the mechanical code, and make a key.. if it turns, then plug in the tool, and start it.. everything right? then plug in the tool to the lock itself and check that the fingers inside are reading the key.. they usually arent.. time for a new lock.

I suggest IF you replace it, KEEP THE MECHANICAL key that comes with the lock SAFE, write down the 2 codes, the NEW key code and the vat code and keep them safe as well..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

The lock can be taken apart with absolutely zero problems. Whoever told you the lock couldn't be taken apart is mistaken. I rarely run into a VATS cylinder with a code on it and you DO NOT have to replace the cylinder.

Dennis

Ooops my bad-Yes I was speaking of Ford-LOL

Reply to
goma865

We're in the Tampa Bay Area.

...well... sorta.

We're moving to Seminole, Pinellas County (about 20 to 30 minutes from Tampa) in the middle of July.

I've done a lot of automotive before. It should be 1 to 2 hours if no problems are encountered.

But you'll have to wait almost 2 months for me to get there.

Sunshine Locksmith Team

Chuck M. wrote:

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

our local GM dealerships also couldn't get key codes all week.

Reply to
Key

the auto locksmith should have a machine to help him figure out which of the 14 keys he will need. I say 14 because a #1 vats key does not exist anymore.

Reply to
Key

it been down around here all week at all our Gm dealers..

Reply to
Key

agree...

Reply to