Ignition Cylinder removal. 76 Camaro

Hi. This group has been helpfull before maybe you can help me out again. I need to get the ignition lock cylinder out of a 76 Camaro. There is no poke hole like on the older GM's with lock in dash and there is no retainer screw down in the column like on the 80 or so and up. I have the working key. It's the original lock and starting to give problems though and I want to switch it out before it stops working completely.

Thanks

Mike

P.S. The email address is good if you want to respond there.

Reply to
MAHUGHES3

me out again. I need

There is no poke hole

retainer screw down in

key. It's the

want to switch it out

there.

look at your new lock. you will see a spring loaded retainer near the rear of the lock cylinder(its black and about 1/2" long) pull the wheel off and remove the blinker assembly. set your new lock above the old one thats installed in the column. (this will give to an idea where the retainer is located) many are hidden under the pre-formed housing. you may have to poke through at the correct location to contact the retainer to push it in for release of the old lock cylinder. thats the correct way to do the job. there is another quicker way but I will not give that info on this open forum.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

there is 2 possible 'spots' that this can be under, IF its not under the first, its on the other, AND IF I remember right, its the LEFT possibility, as far as location, close to the top of the spot.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

its not

right, its

of the

yep, one is definatly the 76 Camaro's 'G' spot :-)

Reply to
Key

Look at the new ign & see where the retainer is.

Measure that far back & look for pot metal covering the poke hole.

Use a poined tool to poke through the pot metal & push the retainer.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

These can be easily popped out with a slide hammer and a sheet metal screw. That's why GM modified the design to use a retaining bolt 79 and up. Puch comes to shove it can be pried out with a scewdriver although this may damage the column slightly if you arent careful.

Reply to
somesmartass