Key is stuck in ingnition!

Hi, I have a 1991 Chevy Cavalier V4 with about 165,000 miles on it. As I turned off the engine yesterday, I noticed the key would not come out of the ignition. I made sure the automatic transmission was in "Park", which it was. And I also tried turning the steering wheel to both extremes, to see if this would help, but it didn't. I tried wiggling the ignition cylinder; and also tried turning the steering wheel while turning the key from "Lock" to "On", all with no luck.

Someone suggested it might be a stuck pin (the key apparently won't come out unless all pins are lose?).

Does anyone have any advice about this? Right now I am using two clubs and a rag to make sure no one steals my car! Thanks!

Stephanie

Reply to
Stephanie

You probably need to replace your ignition cylinder. There is a possibility however that the system that tells the steering column that the shifter is in park has failed and therefore the mechanism in the steering column is acting like the shifter is out of park.

If your ignition key turns smoothly to start the car and back to off, I would first suspect the shift interlock, but if the ignition sounds or feels "crunchy" or stiff, then the problem is probably the lock cylinder.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

a FLOOR SHIFT, has a cable running up to the ignition lock area, and it DOES get out of adjustment real easy... the car is in park, but the lock assembly 'sees it in gear still', and wont turn the last bit. its worth checking FIRST. then condemn the lock. there is also an area on the lock cylinder that wears really funny, and prevents you from getting back to lock position, this is outside the wafers totally

if the shift is on the column, then either the lock is bad or the electrical switch is bad. seen both

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Alpha - Tech cylinder. If it goes into off position but the key will not come out the wafer is stuck. This shifter doesn't have an adjustment on it. Clamp vise grips and tap gently with small hammer. It will come out. You need to get a new key cut before it gets stuck for good.

Reply to
Key Pro

thanks! Do I tap up and down (towards the pins)? Or do I tap forward and back, hitting the flat part of the handle of the key?

Also, this key is a factory original key. How would a duplicate be any better?

S.

Reply to
Stephanie

Will the ignition turn back to "lock" position? If it will then the problem is in the lock cylinder itself. If it won't turn back to lock your problem is probably the lockout associated with the trasmission shifter position. Something is broken or out of adjustment. Either a locksmith or a garage should be able to easily fix it. Figure $50.00 - $150.00 depending on the problem. If you are mechanically inclined you can probably fix it yourself.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

To use the method suggested attach the vise grips inline with the length of the key wiggle vertically up and down while pulling straight out. As a general rule this is only going to work if your ignition is capable of being turned to the lock position, where it must be before you try this, although I have seen many GM keys/locks worn enough that the key could easily be removed and reinserted with the ignition in any position. Keep in mind that the lock may be damaged by removal of the key in such a way that it will not unlock the next time you try to use it.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere