Key Will Not Turn in Lock of Small Lockbox

Hi, everyone. I'm Stephanie and I found your group while searching for a solution to my problem at google.com. I decided this would be the best place to come for help, especially after I saw that the group description is "You Locked Your Keys in Where?"--which leads me to believe that you all might not mind a know-nothing like myself wandering in to ask a silly question.

I have a small Brinks Home Security lockbox, which I just purchased about a year ago. The key kind of resists entering the lock; it's not that it won't go all the way in to the lock, but you have to give it a little coaxing and it has a "grinding feel" when you do. Hope that makes sense. However, the bigger problem is that the key simply will not turn in the lock. I didn't have any WD40 at home, so today I tried using the only thing I had on hand, some mineral oil, to coat the key. It was a long shot, but the only thing I knew to try. It didn't do anything, of course. I tried taking a screwdriver and loosening up the screw at the bottom of the locking mechanism and that didn't help.

So, I am asking for any solutions that any of you might be so gracious to offer me. The darn thing only cost around $20 and I could easily replace it, but it just irks me that I can't fix it myself and that it is giving me this problem after only having using it on an infrequent basis. I'm sure there's something simple that could be done, right? I would appreciate anything you can tell me!

Stephanie Charlotte, North Carolina

Reply to
srjeffery

Of course, on a trip to town you could buy a can of WD-40 for about two bucks. That would be useful for so many things after the lock is lubricated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"srjeffery" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@s53g2000cws.googlegroups.com...

get some wd-40, wash out the "mineral oil" try pushing down on the lid, while turning the key. if that don't work ? because its not cost efficient to bring it to a locksmith. get a hatchet :-)

Reply to
Key

Take it in to your local locksmith. We are pretty good at coaxing these things open.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf