new american 5200 series padlocks, key impossible to remove, depression setting in :-(

bought a dozen padlocks, new. stuck a key in lock #1, it operates lock,
but now will -not- come out of lock (locked OR unlocked, I mean here. it
won't "come out at all, period"). tried various things, wiggling,
pressing shackle while pulling key, wiggle-pulling key, etc, all to no
avail.
haven't resorted to using my vice and dent knock-puller yet.
so I opened brand new lock box number TWO. this time I look at the brand
new keys *closely*, and notice two things:
1. key has never, -ever- been 'wire wheeled' (sharp burrs on edges of
all teeth easily fely with fingers, and
2. at 'the deepest valleys' in the keys (cut with their key cutter,
mill, or whatever the factory uses) there are clearly VISIBLE and quite
large -burrs- protruding sideways (which I assume IS causing the key to
be STUCK the heck in lock #1, seeing as those burrs are also on the
second key for the 1st lock, and on -both- keys for lock #2...
so, do I wire wheel these babies 'with a light touch', get out my
jewelers files for the burrs first, or what?
thanks for advice guys,
toolie
Reply to
dave
FINE wire wheel-try one ONLY first..
the stuck key, the cylinder come out? a changeable cylinder? and if the burrs are OTHER THAN ON THE BOTTOM of the cuts, carefully file them.. look at the top of the cuts, thats the usual problem.. the top of the V... --Shiva--
Reply to
me
Toolie,
Jewelers files should work. I sometimes use a small pocket knife to trim the burrs off also.
To get the key out of the lock I have had some success holding the lock up by the key (it helps to have a keyring on the key) and rapping the pin side of the lock with a small wooden hammer handle. Do this over a carpeted area and don't let the lock fall on your foot... :^)
Leon Rowell
dave wrote: > bought a dozen padlocks, new. stuck a key in lock #1, it operates lock, > but now will -not- come out of lock (locked OR unlocked, I mean here. it > won't "come out at all, period"). tried various things, wiggling, > pressing shackle while pulling key, wiggle-pulling key, etc, all to no > avail. > > haven't resorted to using my vice and dent knock-puller yet. > > so I opened brand new lock box number TWO. this time I look at the brand > new keys *closely*, and notice two things: > > 1. key has never, -ever- been 'wire wheeled' (sharp burrs on edges of > all teeth easily fely with fingers, and > > 2. at 'the deepest valleys' in the keys (cut with their key cutter, > mill, or whatever the factory uses) there are clearly VISIBLE and quite > large -burrs- protruding sideways (which I assume IS causing the key to > be STUCK the heck in lock #1, seeing as those burrs are also on the > second key for the 1st lock, and on -both- keys for lock #2... > > so, do I wire wheel these babies 'with a light touch', get out my > jewelers files for the burrs first, or what? > > thanks for advice guys, > > toolie
Reply to
Leon Rowell
Use a toothpick to push against the lock cylinder face while pinching the key out. The cylinder has too much end play. The core pulls foreward slightly blocking the bible chambers and preventing the pins from entering the bible.
Reply to
Unk
thanks unk, and key, I'll sure look into/try that today. not sure, but the 'inference' of your comment seems that the tiny screw (holding the cylinder cover plate in place, the one under the shackle, and the cylinder, too, therefor, I sssume) is probably 'loose'?
-or- are the cylinders in 5200 series padlocks normally 'shimmed' to the correct degree of end-play?
me hopes 'no shims are involved' for obvious reasons :-/
thanks again, to you guys and all replies,
toolie
Reply to
dave
Key is refering to the cylinder plug retainer being loose, allowing it to try to pull out of the shell, if the retainer is loose, the bottom pins won't raise up into the bible of the shell, because they are not lined up, hench the key being stuck. If the retainer is off, the plug would just pull out with the key and you'd have a mess. Wayne
Reply to
wayne c
You got it Unk !. Exactly what I was going to say.
Reply to
Steve Paris
Steve, how are things down-under ? Kitt really likes the package ya sent ! hell, I do too...
thanks again
Reply to
Key