Best prices on American Series 20 and.

Hello,

I have posted a few messages in this newsgroup and everyone has always been real helpful. I have another one. I own coin operated equipment. and just bought a small route of about 75 games. I need to buy 75-100 new locks all with the same key. I am not sure which ones. We have used American 5200 but they seem pricy $17.00. I can get the Series 20 for $8.95 plus tx and shipping. And I can get a Mater Lock 2" for $9.49. Re keyable might be nice but it seems to cost as almost as much as buying a new lock. Could I get some opinions. Price is very important. because I have to buy so many. I can't afford Medaco. What is best lock for a low price. I may need to get more of the same so I would need a source. Picking is not a problem anymore with us. It us shear brute force now that gets into our games.

Thanks Russ

Reply to
Uriahsky

I would hazard a guess that picking / false keys will soon become a problem if you do not use a high quality mechanism.

Reply to
Peter

everyone has always been

equipment. and just

75-100 new locks all

used American 5200

$8.95 plus tx and

keyable might be

new lock. Could I

have to buy so many.

I may need to

not a problem

into our games.

you get what you pay for. maximum security is not cheap.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Keyman is right. You get what you pay for. Sometimes you get more bang for your buck if you spend a few more $ as is the case with American Padlocks vs. Master Padlocks. ( sorry Billy B,) With Master Unless you order them from the factory with a specific code you will get a "common code"meaning anyone who orders 50 or 100 or 200 KA locks gets 1 of a few codes that Master uses. Many people have those keys for legitimate purposes they would also have a key to your machines American padlocks can be keyed to a specific key pretty easily . and it is easy to add in more as the need arises. You can probably work a deal with your local locksmith to provide all the locks KA at a very small upcharge. Also they can quickly be changed should the need for rekeying occur. You will save more that the cost of new master padlocks. You don't seem to be concerned about picking or other supetious entry. You probably should be. If there is anything being protected ( if not then why do you need locks?)in a "public place ,someone will try to get at it . This could be so simple as free games or tokens.

Keep in mind that most "hobbyist lock pickers" ( nice term for wannabe thief) start off with a Master padlock your Masters would only be a challenge for a short time.

Get good locks you won't regret it.

I don't know what area you are in. Western US- try IDN they can supply you with anything you need. Eastern US- I have good luck with Accredited Your mileage may varie

Don

"Uriahsky" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in message news:7DvUb.10924$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net...

Reply to
no spam

I would recommend that you look into either a re-keyable padlock, such as a Master with a Sargent keyway, or I would still recommend the American. American padlocks use one or two serrated pins in the pinstack and they are very deceptive when trying to pick the lock. The American padlock is also re-keyable so you wouldn't have to take the key coded by the factory. Neither lock is "cheap" nor inexpensive, but either will provide as good of security as the structure can handle, to wit: I can enter almost anywhere with a sledgehammer or a cutting torch if I am not concerned who hears or sees me.

You might think about an American padlock with an interchangeable core cylinder. It could come in handy should you decide to sell a group of machines. All you would have to do is remove the cores and sell the padlocks along with the machine. The new owner would need to buy new cores which are readily available from any locksmith, but you would not be stuck with a lot of padlocks that you're not using just because they're keyed the same as all the other padlocks you are using. I think Abus and Master also make these.

I hope this makes sense to ya and helps you with your decision.

David Ferguson

Reply to
David Ferguson

Thanks to all for the thoughtfull replies. It always comes down to me trying to save a buck. I seem to usually learn the hardway. Thank you

Reply to
Uriahsky

you must not have been in an AMERICAN™ padlock lately, if ever- ALL the pins & drivers are serrated.

Master is also doing this now.

American has for a long time.

And YES, master as well as abus are re-keyable, depending on the models.

Reply to
JOCK tec