94 Ford Explorer Ignition Replacement

Hi All, Hopefully someone can shed some light on a problem I had the other night. I had to drill an ignition & replace same on a 94 Explorer. I've done many Ford ignition locks without a problem. After drilling the sidebar & turning the ignition to accesory, I looked under the shround for the poke hole. No poke hole. I removed the shroud & still could not find a hole to press in the retainer. It was dark & using a flashlight & small mirror I looked all around the ignition without success. I even measured the retainer on the new ignition I was installing to see where about it should be. It appears that it is completely concealed. I ended up using my safe deposit box nose puller to remove the plug and then reached into the housing to pry up the retainer. Has anyone come across this before? Thanks

Reply to
Tim

have to pull the wheel, think Chevy, thats where the pin to depress is. accessory? thought it was on position...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Not done one of those. But did you have the replacement lock on hand? If so, look at the "new" cylinder, and that should give you the clues you need.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

problem I had the

a 94

problem.

accesory, I

I removed

retainer. It

around the

the new

It appears

deposit box

housing to

Thanks

believe it, it is there. hidden or not. also, you should have been in the "on" position.

g'day

Reply to
Key

Hey Tim, The retainer is there. It is hidden. Take a long thin ice pick, measure about where it is supposed to be and you will see what looks like a screw hole but it is a tunnel leading straight to the retainer. It is hidden very well and if you don't know what you're looking for it will be almost impossible to find. If you were doing it in the dark I can understand how you missed it. Keyman is correct as always...and Shiva too... the switch HAS to be in the on posistion to be removed. Hope this helps. Good luck!! Danny Danny Williams Danny's Locksmith Service Fayetteville, NC

Reply to
Keyman28

Thanks Danny, I'll remember this for future calls. Tim

Reply to
Tim

& turning the ignition to accesory,

Needs to be in run to depress the retainer.

It's there. Look again closely.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere