1994 Camaro Ignition Switch (lock cylinder)

its the same deal as the air bag.. when it fails to inflate-the question is who worked on it LAST? and they get in hot water.. I dont want to do one TWICE, especially when the second time is on ME, FREE.

and no insurance AFAIK will cover air bag work..

if they want the lock taken apart-they can take it to 'someone' cause no one here will disassemble such..

the things are usually so wore anyway, that its much cheper just to replace, especially with the cost of vat blanks now.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

odd.. mine did..

musta got lucky..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

well, depends on whether single OR double sided..

personally see NO reason to keep the 14 double sided ones.. I see 50 Chevys to 1 Pont or Olds, that uses the double..

of thesingle sided, then, I have used 5 numbers over the years and never seen the rest..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

LOL, personally learned a MUCH faster way.. no soldering involved, and NO 'building the proper chip value out of resistors' either.. is it safe? electrically? yes.. is it MORALLY good? no.. but it works..

its as good as the folks putting in remote starts, and destroying the onboard anti theft in the process. in BOTH Chevys and Fords..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

or we were unlucky :-)

Reply to
Key

we also haven't needed many double sided ones. but, we keep 2 of each, just incase.

we have seen many of the single sided ones. probably all of them. we also do work for all the GM dealerships in our town, most of the other dealers and many used car lots. our town is not that small. that's probably the difference.

Reply to
Key

actually, we now just use connectors. we used solder in the beginning, many years back..

always looking for a "faster" way..

Reply to
Key

one takes that risk with anything they touch. even new ignitions can go bad. matter of fact, I have seen many new ignitions go bad. I know you have too...

we have work completed insurance (State Farm) that will cover air bag work. although we have never had to replace an air-bag.

we will do it, if the need arises ?

agree, if the old one is that worn. if not ? its cheaper to repair. actually a vat blank is pretty cheap these days.

no pun intended

Reply to
Key

I do not see the problem with airbag removal. Airbag removal is a standard procedure that has been overblown by others that think it is going to fire up if you remove it. For the most part you have 2 to 4 screws, a horn clip and the airbag connector. Airbag removal isn't hard unless the wheel is locked where the screws are behind the clamshell but that can be solved. To remove the lock you are going to have to remove the airbag regardless.

VATS locks dissassemble exactly like a standard GM 6 cut bolt in ignition. Once the plug is out of the housing you DO NOT have to remove the spring cap cover, the wafers can be measured. We specialize in automotive locksmithing and there are many things discussed on this forum that just makes me shake my head. We make a key for a VATS ignition without ever leaving the seat of the vehicle from start to finish. When finished the lock will use the same key as it always did and you will not have to spend any extra money on a new cylinder that just isn't needed. The only time we replace a cylinder is due to damage. If the customer wants a different key to fit the ignition(due to possibile key theft) the VATS ignitions can be rekeyed cheaper than fitting a new lock.

Dennis

you have a much bigger customer base than me.. 12k people in mine, and 200k to the east, BUT, there are 16 shops there too..

I happen to think of a funny, sorta.. I did not make ANY foreign car keys at all last year.. it was Ford OR Chevy for over 90% of the work.. (Not Olds or Pont, either) they are not sold here.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

send me an email..

I didnt save your address..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

funny point.. I asked the State Farm agent a simple question.. now, AGREE the liability part will cover if 'something breaks in disassemble/reassembly.. but i asked the agent this question.. IF, say a week later, the car was hit, and the airbag failed to inflate, and i was sued, cause I was the LAST one to work on it, am I covered? and the UNDERWRITER-not the agent, said NO. now if YOUR underwriters did say yes, I would really like to go after MY agent with that information..

this to me, is similar to a 'warranty' that is in other areas.. poorely worded.. I know, but you get the idea..

vat blanks are UNREAL cheap.. even some of the newer GM transponder , the + and newer are REAL cheap..

biggest thing here is the 'ladies' with 2# key rings, and wondering why the car wont start them GRIPING about the cost of new..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

watched a factory mechanic do 5 at various times.. he did it with the car RUNNING.. never shut the car off till he had to put the actual new cylinder in, plugged it in, stuck in new key and started the car AGAIN, and reassembled the rest back up.. it was hot in the shop and he got the AC to blow in his face while he did it..

airbags are REALLY safe.. but lawyers are not..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

look, it has a VERY good self diagnostic.. and it either PASS/FAIL on the first turn on..I know that, YOU know that, the COMPUTER knows that..

however, that will be hard to prove in court, when the thing did fail to go off, and some sue happy lawyer gets you for a half million for a wrongful death/ or physical damages..

NO MATTER it worked for a week or month AFTER you had it off..

MY State Farm agents underwriter said I WAS NOT COVERED in such a situation.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Telco type splices. Put the wires in and push. No need to even strip wires and they gel seal automatically.

Reply to
Steve

The VATS ignition cylinder can be taken apart.

Reply to
Steve

By that logic nobody would work on virtually any modern steering column. Simply R&R'ing an air bag is not going to make it fail, unless you forget to plug the damn thing back in.

--

Reply to
Steve

yes, I was really talking about "if 'something breaks in disassemble/reassembly.." however , I will ask my underwriter the same question and get back to ya.

Reply to
Key

you have twice as many shops... our population in this area is roughly 759k. there are only 5 shops and about 5 mobils only's..

although we do most dealers around here, they don't really call like they used to. they do a lot more in-shop these days. I have noticed that they operate more cost-efficient these days. can't really blame em, (the way the car market has been lately) I'd do the same thing...

Reply to
Key

I don't have yours, use to have it but lost a bunch a while back. leave yours at: snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net I will get it from there.

Reply to