98 Toyota Camry ignition lock jammed.

My Camry ignition lock is jammed in some way. It will turn part way to the ACC position but doesn't quite get there. I am not sure what the problem might be but it seems like it could be something with the wafers as the key is sometimes difficult to insert and remove. At any rate, I would remove the cylinder, but am unable to do so because I can't get it quite all the way to the ACC position to depress the release button. I also know that there is a hidden pin about 1/4" in from the front of the cylinder (bottom side) that is underneath the cylinder housing and can be reached by breaking out the small section there. Is this pin at all helpful in removing the cylinder? If so, what needs to be done with it? Tap it in? Drill it out?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bradford

It'll be one of two things.

  1. Your key is worn. Get a new one cut to code and see if that solves the problem.

  1. One of the split wafer pairs has slipped past each other. Very very nasty. Last I heard the whole dash needs to come out. Get the Toyota dealer to look at it.

Reply to
Simon

Andy...

Simon is most likely is right about the split wafe slipping apart.

First I would get a blank key ( with no cuts on the key ) try to put the key into the ignition if it slip in easy maybe it may put the split wafes back in place and do as Simon suggested have a new key cut by codes. If it doesn't work then there another step and it's not very easy. (You may have already damaged the wafes more)

I would not drill the pin, because it may cause more problems for you. You will slip and drill the pin hole out to a larger hole and that will not help you.

I would have a locksmith come out and do it for you and the locksmith could replace the ignition with another ignition and keyed it to your key ( if the locksmith think that's the best.)

It's very hard to tell some one how to fix this type of a problem this way. Sometimes W40 will do the trick too if you know what you doing.

Good luck

Reply to
Dale Brown

It doesn't seem like you're not going to get much help here....... so here goes. As you know by now, you're dealing with split wafers. As your key is probably worn, I would try cutting your old key onto a new blank and see if the ignition will turn into accesories.. The new blank MAY, in that it is a bit wider, may operate a split wafer that is not moving for you now. If this doesn't seem to help then I suggest a little force to complete your turn into the acc position. If the only holdback is a split wafer, that wafer will usually give it up without as much damage as a full wafer. Once into the acc. position, it is just a matter of pushing in the pin from the bottom. That will release your ignition straight out the end. From there it would be easy for you to deliver it to a local locksmith for a change of wafers and probably a new key. As the wafers are numbered, it is relatively easy to develope a key to a factory-like original. I would make sure that your lubricant for the ignition on completion is a silicone based lube that leaves no residue. Good luck and I hope you get the ignition working.

nice2cu

I believe this was the problem, or it was something along these lines. I actually had two keys. Neither was turning the cylinder very well, but I eventually got it into the Accessory position so I could pull out the cylinder and replace it with a new one. They sure don't make those cylinders to be serviced...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bradford

I have serviced many of them.