'93 Nissan Ign Question

I have a friend that broke the key off in his '93 Nissan Pathfinder ignition switch. Try as I might I couldn't get the piece out. Not being at all familiar with the ignition switch I took the plastic housing off and took a look at it. I see a small brass pin at the top of the cylinder housing. If I remove this pin will the cylinder slide out? There is a two wire electrical connection at the bottom of the cylinder housing that I presume is an interlock with contacts inside the housing. Any help anyone could provide on this would be appreciated. E-mail address is valid for anyone that would prefer that response choice. Thanks.

Leon Rowell, Locksmith "Specializing in Antique Autos & Motorcycles"

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Can't rememberon the pin but I do remember digging a key out of this ign. If you can get a grip on key with spiral key puller, then take a pick and lift tumblers as you pull out (they are on top and bottom ithink) the hardest thing to get by was the key buzer. The two wire connection you see goes to the key buzzer. David H

Reply to
David H

Thanks David. I don't have a spiral but i will see if I can come up with something that might work.

Leon

David H wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

I can't remember exactly where the pin is, but on the Nissan's I've worked on, the pin is drive into a hole exactly the right size. To get the pin out, you have to drill alongside, and pry it out with an ice pick.

But, then, the cyl slides out. I think the spiral extractor is a better idea if at all possible. Good luck, it's not going to be an easy call.

Remember, a tow call and a replacement switch would be massively expensive, so don't feel guilty about charging fair for your time and trouble.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks Chris. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow.

Leon

Storm> I can't remember exactly where the pin is, but on the Nissan's I've worked

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Leon, Take a Dremel tool and simply cut slots in the top of the headless bolts and then remove them and take the switch out of the car and take out the one or two roll pins and disassemble the lock remove the key and reassemble. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes...start to finish. I found that just going ahead and removing the lock is much more time effective if you can't see the key to remove it. Nissans are easy. Hope this helps. Danny Danny Williams Danny's Locksmith Service Fayetteville, NC

Reply to
Keyman28

Thanks Danny. I used almost this same method and completed the job this morning. Thanks to everyone for their help on this. There is a very small spring and ball you really have to watch when you pull the lock cylinder out.

Leon Rowell

Keyman28 wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

I've sometimes been able to bump the shear head bolts out with a hammer and prick punch. But you're right, they are a LOT easier to service if they are off the column.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon