Centrifugal switch?

I am still trying to locate a web page with a diagram indicating how a centrifugal switch gets implemented. I presume that the centrifugal part is attached to the rotor, buy how does it activate a stationary switch for energizing a starting capacitor?

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

I already explained, it pushes a thrust bearing down the shaft, which pushes on a fork or other lever attached to the contacts. It looks similar to the release bearing of an automotive clutch.

5 seconds with Google came up with piles of photos

James Sweet

A weight assembly is rotated by the shaft, at a predetermined speed the weights force a bobbin along the shaft to open the contacts connecting the capacitor to the start winding.

Regards ......... Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Somehow, your recent post makes more sense than anythging I remember reading earlier. The links to photos help a bit but not much.

In any event, it seems that you cannot get away from the expense and complication of a bearing.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

For some reason, your choice of words, particularly "bobbin," greatly helped me understand. Thanks.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

I use the term "bearing" loosely, it's usually just a plastic washer of sorts that pushes against the switch contacts, it's probably a pretty tiny proportion of the cost of the motor.

Reply to
James Sweet

Under these circumstances, what keeps the "bearing" from wearing out from friction?

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

There's very little pressure on it, just that required to hold the contacts closed, and it's only touching for a split second as the motor spins up, and a few seconds longer as it spins down. While running, it's pulled back and the contacts are allowed to open.

Reply to
James Sweet

No worries, we're all here to help each other on the path to learning :-)

Cheers ...... Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull