New adverts web page

Due to Chris Heapy's adverts web site not being followed up on and Chris not answering emails or posts Charles Ping and myself have organised a new page for Model Engineering adverts.

This will be run along the same lines as the page Chris used to run. Buy. sell and wanted for equipment, models and magazines, in fact anything home workshop related.

Free to use, no strings or sponsors just a service to Model Engineers. A link to the page is here:-

Please book mark this. Most of the background work has already been done by Charles and we hope to get this running sometime over the week end for a Monday start up.

I dare say there will be some bugs, hiccups etc so please bear with us whilst we feel our feet. The page is pretty clear to understand. Please do fill in the location box with a general area as there is nothing worse that making contact only to find that the 3 ton machine you fancied is in the Shetland's and you are in Devon.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

I had wondered about offering to take the workload off Chris. But if you two are daft enough to do it instead, then you have my backing. If he's answering email or the phone, he might be happy for you to take most of the site off him. You could give an official home to the Stevenson Toolpost then.

Mark Rand (Just got to finish another half dozen tool holders and I can start using the one I've been making) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I was thinking of doing the same thing - but I was waiting for Chris to decide what he intends to do as he has put a huge amount of effort into his site.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

John, Charles,

I am sure that I speak for the majority when I say how grateful we are to you both. I am sure that your efforts will be well received.

I wonder if there is any way that the enormous amount of 'splendid gen' currently on Chris Heapy's site can be saved for reference? - If, indeed, he intends to back out permanently. The advertisements were/are only a part of a much greater whole.

Charles, with his Austin Seven interests, will probably be aware that there was a similar Oz based A7 forum which ceased operation last year, and much useful information seems, sadly, to have been lost.

More strength to your elbows chaps. :)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

We only intend to carry on the adverts page. This is no way demeans anything that Chris has done, it takes a few moments to realise the service he's offered over the time. I personally have met many like minded people through his adverts pages.

There are programs that can save whole web pages. Teleport Pro is one. It will make a hard disk based image of the whole site but you need the program to view it. It can't be passed on to someone on a CD unless you have the program. I just saved Chris's pages after reading the original post and it's 40 meg in size.

As regards sites closing on the web even if you pull a site there are many mirror servers all over the world that store data and keep it. The chances are some or even all of these Oz A7 site is still there somewhere. Can you remember the address of the site ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

John

The Oz site that Mike is refering to is still up.

the bit that died was the question forum that had critical mass. It's the clever technology behind that bit that has been the greatest loss. I suppose it just proves that active communities with moderated self publishing routes are the best - but as we may be about to find out - hard work to run!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Wishing you all the best in this endevour.

Just sent you an ad to get you up and running :)

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile:

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

thanks john, i miss chris,s adverts. although i do not have much mone

and stay on the smallside of model engineering it was very interestin to read the adverts. best of luck with the new site

-- bolma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bolmas's Profile:

this thread:

bolmas

Sell something then. With the money you can buy what you want.

My mate got a new washing machine for his missus, I thought that was a bloody good swap.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Engineers.

John/Charles

Like many others, I expect, I have been very grateful indeed to Chris H for his site. Besides the wealth of technical information on the site, I've gained much help and advice from others via the adverts page (as well as a lot of my workshop equipment).

Many thanks for picking up the baton on this. Good luck!

Mike

Reply to
mike.crossfield

So.... for the unenlightened, what was Chris Heapy's website address? Is it still up and running and just not managed?

Good luck, will bookmark.

Reply to
John Smith

There is a standard Unix utility called wget that runs from a command line and saves complete websites to a local hard drive where they can be viewed using your normal broswer.

Wget is free software and can be found at . I believe there is a Windows port binary available through a link on that page. Also worth trying to look up winget which I understand to be a version specifically for Windows with a a "proper" GUI interface.

hth,

Reply to
Boo

Cool ! If I may make a suggestion then I wonder if it's worth enforcing the Trader/Private distinction by having a list-box on the advert form that selects between the two ? If the default was Trader then that'd be likely to ensure anyone caring about the distinction wasn't misled. Otherwise you're relying on people to remember to type it in when they post an ad.

Reply to
Boo

Chris Heapy battled with this one and failed to get all traders to declare themselves. It's probably easiest to leave it up to the honesty of the seller and the waryness of the buyer.

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

OK - I have given it a try. It is a fairly simple form which uses your Email to forward the data. Unfortunately, there may soon be problems sorting the spam from the real stuff - good luck with that! I wonder if one of the free forum packages might make life a little easier for the moderators?

I have also made a backup of the site, just in case!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

It's here:-

I recommend that anyone in the hobby reads, marks, learns and inwardly digests it, Chris has put a lot of work into it over the years.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

John, Charles,

You both kindly responded (with indecent haste) to my posting, and this prompted others also to do so during the day.

Many thanks to all who for the information which has been presented on 'site saving'.

I will bow out of this thread now as it was never my intention to turn it into an A7 piece; I just wished to cite an example which I knew would be known to Charles.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:55:52 +0000, John Stevenson wrote: Please do fill in the location box

I can just imagine the postie at 7.00 am knocking on my door........

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Hi,

I would just like to say good luck and thank you to you both. I have spent many a happy hour browsing Chris's site, and think that is a shame that something so useful and obviously requiring a lot of work has to be stopped because of "bickering" (or so I read earlier). I think that after reading this site for many years, neither Chris nor Charles will put up with much abuse. Again, good luck and much power to your elbows.

All the best,

Tom.

Nunce excretia in extractum est.

Reply to
Tom Jacobs

I was guessing you meant John and Charles! I've never met John, but I used to work with Charles about 20 years ago and suspect that any potential whiners will get a suitably 'robust' response. ;-)

Reply to
Duncan Munro