Ignition lock on old Mercedes 190 (1991)

Dear Group,

Is it possible to pick a ignition lock of a Mercedes 190 ? My problem is that I lost the only key I had, and then ordered new keys only to find that the tumbler has been changed, hence ordered new tumbler. However you need the old key to change the tumbler, great!

I was wondering if an ordinary locksmith would be able to "fake" the ignition key and hence turn the ignition to POS 1 so I can take out the tumbler ?

TIA. Morten

Reply to
mb.larsen

I belive, and someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the best way to approach that is to impression the drivers side door lock first then get it working in the trunk and side door. That shoud get you at least the first five cuts in the key. Then you'll have to impression the

ignitiion. I don;t belive the lock has a sidebar, so you should be O.K>

--KJ

Reply to
kevin

I assume this is a sidewinder lock, without going and looking it up.. YES, it can be done, but it is NOT a 'give the man a call' and its done in 5 minutes.. call around, and ask FIRST if the person has done Mercedes before. I also assume that you tried the key in the door? you new key? did it work there? if NOT, then, before you go to this much trouble, you might want to get someone to make a key to the existing locks.. AGAIN, do some phoning.. in MY area, there are 18 locksmiths.. 2 of which been in business for 30 and over 50 years.. NO ONE here has capability NOR desire to 'originate' Mercedes keys for the sidewinders..I dont know the reason, either.. unless its because its plain TIME consuming.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

If I understand you, you had one key, and lost it. Did that key work everything on the car or did it only fit the ignition?

If you had only an ignition key for the car then you are probably in for a messy expensive proposition.

If you had one key that fit everything and just the replacement lock from MBZ does not work then you are a little better off as there is a way to fit a key, or perhaps Mercedes screwed up and sent you the wrong key and a secont try is worth it.

Mercedes also might have a record of previous owners that may have a key or a key number on file that would help also.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

its a sidewinder.. cannot be impressioned..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

And what are the odds that the door lock was replaced at the same time as the ignition?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

none..

trivia information.. I have asked at 3 places that work on 'sidewinder equipped' cars as far as the need for key generation from scratch- never mind the year.. and ALL have said- they RARELY need that type of work done.. interesting..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

If it's a sidewinder, then the easiest way is to dremel the bezel and replace the lock. It's a tough job and you need to be delicate around the dash trim so you don't screw it up. A replacement hardened steel bezel is relatively reasonable and usually in stock at the MB dealership.

I've done a few. Usually charge a few hundred to dremel and replace bezel and ignition.

--Shiva-- wrote:

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net