Locked out -- my own fault

OK, so I hid the keys to the camper and they have dropped down inside the t ube I had them attached to with a magnet. Just spent the last three hours w
ith all manner of hooky things including an Endoscope that torments with th e a clear view of them firmly attached to the bottom of the tube.
Before breaking out the drills to drill out the locks, any suggestions on h ow I might learn the key profile after drilling one? I have six locked thin gies all keyed alike and I do not want to have to buy six new locks.
Thought I'd throw the problem to the collective super-powers of this group.
Further admonitions beyond my last three hours of self flagellation will no t help, it is time for positive action. Only saving grace is that I have ti me on my side as I only need access it for maintenance.
Thanks.
OK, so I hid the keys to the camper and they have dropped down inside the tube I had them attached to with a magnet. Just spent the last three hours with all manner of hooky things including an Endoscope that torments with the a clear view of them firmly attached to the bottom of the tube.
Before breaking out the drills to drill out the locks, any suggestions on how I might learn the key profile after drilling one? I have six locked thingies all keyed alike and I do not want to have to buy six new locks.
Thought I'd throw the problem to the collective super-powers of this group.
Further admonitions beyond my last three hours of self flagellation will not help, it is time for positive action. Only saving grace is that I have time on my side as I only need access it for maintenance.
Thanks.
======== Locksmith
On 2/13/2018 3:46 PM, Dave, I can't do that wrote: > OK, so I hid the keys to the camper and they have dropped down inside the tube I had them attached to with a magnet. Just spent the last three hours with all manner of hooky things including an Endoscope that torments with the a clear view of them firmly attached to the bottom of the tube. > > Before breaking out the drills to drill out the locks, any suggestions on how I might learn the key profile after drilling one? I have six locked thingies all keyed alike and I do not want to have to buy six new locks. > > Thought I'd throw the problem to the collective super-powers of this group. > > Further admonitions beyond my last three hours of self flagellation will not help, it is time for positive action. Only saving grace is that I have time on my side as I only need access it for maintenance. > > Thanks. > > D >
How deep down the tube? Claw grabbers work pretty good if you can reach it, but of course if you do have one I am sure its in the tool box inside the lock camper right?
Cut the tube down to size. Get a bigger magnet and cause the key to drop. Take out the tube and high G slam the end down on a board.
Martin
On 2/13/2018 5:10 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 14:46:50 -0800 (PST), "Dave, I can't do that"

Get some picks and learn to pick one, then take the latch/lock out of the door and to a locksmith. (cheapest + education + new tool) Fun Practical Tools Combination Set - - Amazon.com https://is.gd/7g90ET $8.99 prime
Call a locksmith, who will pick it, remove the latch/lock, and make keys for it. (maybe $60)
It is good to keep more than one set of keys for everything in the future. On different key rings. I know one guy who had 2 sets--both on the same =lost= keyring.
--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.

    I used to keep a spare car key in my wallet.
    No longer - these new "security keys" with the electronics embedded are too fat to fit in a wallet.
    No, I'm not paranoid about locking my keys in the car. nope, not at all. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."
[...]

The doors in my first car could be locked only when shut, thus making it impossible to lock the door from the outside without the key. So I formed good habits early, and reinforced them long: I drove that car daily for over seven years.
It's been 34 years since it went to the junkyard, and I *still* have never once locked keys in a car. And I expect I never will. It's just automatic now.
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 01:56:00 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

I have a couple times. The last time I was dropping a disabled friend off so opened the trunk to retieve her walker then held it until she got moving, closed her door, the trunk and found that everything was locked; I guess in getting outshe had hit the lock switch on the passenger door and of course the car was still running. Fortunately second son was at home to bring the spare key to open the car. Now I carry a plain key just in case.

I locked the keys in my Ranger last summer at midnight with a load of chairs. Thankfully the rear slider window on the cabv was open. Sadly, the slider on the front of thecap was not. Also, the slider on the cap can only be opened from the cab side. Fortunately I had tools in the box - unloaded all the chairs,unbolted the cap, moved it back onthe box and got in through the cab slider to get the keys out of the ignition - - - It was 2am by the time I got home.

My Tundra won't lock with the key in the ignition. I was going to lock it to let it warm up while I went inside, but it didn't work. I think it's an anti-stupidity feature. <g>
-- Sir Winston Churchill
Larry Jaques wrote:

My Honda Civic will not lock if the key is close enough to the ignition lock for the immobilizer transponder to be detected. Actually, it will lock, and then a second later unlock.
Toyota Prius's will unlock if the key fob is within about 20 feet of the car. Not exactly sure how they do that. I guess the key fob is a transponder that is interrogated by the car.
Jon

I believe Teslas have some sort of proximity detection, too, unlocking your car when you get close. I have 10+ years on the key fob battery now. Maybe I should get new batteries to have around, JIC.
-- Sir Winston Churchill
Gerry wrote:

A lot of cars with keyless entry will lock ~2 minutes after the trunk is shut, if you don't open a door after shutting the trunk. A security feature, but if you don't know this, it can be a real PAIN.
Jon
01:56:00 -0000 (UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I just check the key hook before closing the last door. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

I pat the keys in my pocket when I pass through an exterior or car door.
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 06:58:00 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Ditto. That's the only place I ever put my keys. It sucked when I changed into shorts one summer and habit caused me to lock the door as I went to check the mail. Had to dig up my house key, which was buried. I would never leave a key in a house plant or under a rock, let alone one of those fake key-hiding rocks, like some people's kids.
-- Sir Winston Churchill
08:44:52 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Where I live, I rarely wear shorts, so that's not a problem.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/05/some-smart-locks-give-a-false-sense-of-security/index.htm
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 18:05:08 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I cringed and quickly turned down that shrill voice. Take some voice lessons, lady. I loved how she casually tossed out the $279 price of the thermostat and only $69 for a link to make your thermostat remotely controlled. These millennials have the oddest sense of need for apps...even $400 ones.
Pass. Internet or phone-connected apps are never going on my life support, kitchen, or home security hardware, period.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

Originally I searched for high security mechanical cipher locks like the ones on my labs at Mitre, until I found they cost $400~$500.