Plug in warning light thingy -- needed

Hi, I keep leaving my soldering iron on (yeah, I now, but I am old and easily distracted) and it is only a matter of time ...

So, I am looking for something to go between the wall outlet and the soldering iron plug that has a bright light on it.

I have searched around and can't find anything so I may have to make one, but being somewhat lazy, thought I'd ask here first in case I am reinventing the wheel.

Something like this with a honking big light on it. The iron is only two-wire so a two wire version would be OK too.

I have looked at several styles of those at homedepot and they seem to be RF-welded so no easy pulling them apart to add 10,000mc LED or something.

Anyone? Anything?

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Dave,

Use a power strip with on/off switch. Then use a "plug-in Light Socket" in one outlet and your soldering iron in another. Screw a colored Christmas bulb or some other bulb of color to suit your desires. Switch on -- light on/heat on Switch off --- Well I am not going to type it. :-)

Done!!

Variations to above will work as well.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

replying to Dave, I can't do that, BAH wrote: Rather than A light I would suggest a 15 or 20-Amp 60-Minute In-Wall Spring Wound Countdown Timer Switch in a 2 gang box with an appropriate combination single switch & duplex outlet cover and a short cord. Set the timer for how long you think the job requires and the timer shuts off the soldering iron (or anything else you plug into it) when the time is up. Mounted in a wall box these timers work great for irons, curling irons or any other device that presents a fire hazard if left on.

Reply to
BAH

Sorry, no big honking lights. I made a tiny squeaking one from this clip-on current transformer and two LEDs:

The old parts-drawer LEDs in it now are rather dim at 0.8mA. It shows if the fridge is on when the fan in my DC-AC inverter drowns out the compressor hum, so I don't unplug the fridge to move it from the grid to the inverter unless it's stopped.

I'd like to add it to a controller that turns the inverter on when the fridge needs it, and off afterwards, since the always-on inverter consumes twice as much battery power as the intermittent fridge.

I added these over the wires to the electric baseboard radiators I use as backup for the wood stove, to show if they have turned on. They probably wouldn't light up for a soldering iron.

Or you could just plug the iron into an outlet strip with a bright switch light.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

How about a timer on the outlet? These are just made for ya, Dave. Simple Touch C30004-Single Original Auto Shut-Off Safety Outlet, 30 Minute Setting for Curling and Flat Iron Hair Straightener or Dave's Soldering Iron: AmazonSmile

Larry Jaques

get a metal junction box and cover, an extention cord, and a duplex receptacle. Connectthe cord to the receptacle,put it in the box with the cover,and plug both a light and the soldering iron into the outlet. Pull the plug to kill both the ironand the light.

Or use a ganged box and install a switch so you don't need topull any plugs. Just swith the power going in, and the light and iron are controlled together.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thanks Larry, we have a winner. Not quite the thing you suggested but it got me started on the right track for me.

That will do nicely.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Or, even better. Thanks everyone.

Dave, I can't do that

I had the same problem. Didn't use the SI very much. Discovered that it had been on for several months. Went down the Hdw store bought a 4 square box, cover that would toke a dulpex outlet and a bathroom heat lamp timer. Mounted same under the front of the bench. Problem solved. CP

Reply to
MOP CAP

Sometimes I give in to the urge to absurdly overengineer a simple problem. For years I've used a high-mounted heavy duty outlet strip with a red on/off switch light to plug in kitchen counter cooking appliances but when I saw this I had to pigtail one to the outlet strip and use its big bright blue display as the reminder to turn the outlet strip off.

During a power outage it serves as the inverter's AC output monitor and the kitchen nightlight.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Glad I could help.