2000 Ford Excursion security questions

I have a few questions about security in my recently purchased 2000 Ford Excursion.

  1. The driver's door has a 5 key pad to lock/unlock the door. I have instructions on how to program a new code. The question is; will the original factory code still operate the lock ,or only the new code, or both new and original? I am getting conflicting answers from the salesman, owners manual, and service dept.

  1. The truck has only one ignition key (Pats). There are instructions for programming new keys, but two working keys are required in order to program a third or more key. I have found a local locksmith (Albuquerque, NM) who will make a new key for . The question is can other keys made in the past be removed from the computer such that only the two keys I now have will operate the ignition. I am a little concerned that there may be a number of other keys around. An anti theft system with insecure keys, does not make much sense.

Thanks, Norris

Reply to
Norris Smith

go with your owners manual.

$60 seems high for a duplicate PATS key. (since you already have one to duplicate)

yes. they all can be removed and just your two keys re-programmed. it takes special equipment and will cost you more than $60. we would charge $100

g'day

Reply to
"Key

the ORIGINAL CODE, works if the truck loses the battery.. that code cannot AFAIK, be totally removed-its the fail safe.. YOUR code will work as long as the battery is good, and not disconnected..

AGAIN, without looking AFAIK, 2000 require the plug in device TO program that second key (this is a gray area-some 99's require the tool and some dont).. my local Ford dealer gets $35 to program, plus $19 (aftermarket brand) for the key.. so the $60 is not out of reason..

ANY former keys are removed automatically, UNLESS you reprogram them back in to the system when you add keys.... this is what makes the Ford real handy in divorces.. each has a key, and 1 gets the truck, a trip to get a SECOND key made, removes the spouses key from working, it WILL still turn the ignition BUT it will not start.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Norris...

Question 2 If the locksmith has a transponder programmer the locksmith can remove all of the present keys that are programed for that truck so they will no longer work. With the transponder programmer the locksmith can program the new keys for the truck.

Now that doesn't keep someone with a old key from getting into your truck but the old key will not start the truck any longer.

If the locksmith has clone programmer it will not disable the old keys.

Question 2 no comments just don't know. I know with the older models the factory setting would always be there.

Reply to
RDB

If you have the original factory code, it will always work. The usersettable codes are a secondary code that are for the drivers convinence and can be changed any time if you have the original code. The salesman probably never read the manual and the service department probably wants to have a man in the shop check it out for you and at the same time suggest you have them repaint the idlerarm to help prevent the devistating effects of corrosion.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

really depends on where he is located. around here the dealers get $100. (includes one key, extra is another $25.)

Note: yes, if the key is added using the NGS or similar mechine ? does NOT erase, if added using on board programing.

but then she can still get into the truck and show what she thought of that :-)

g'day all

Reply to
"Key