Lost keys to '87 Honda Civic

Last night I lost the keys to my '87 Honda Civic. I had a spare but I seem to have lost it when moving last. I called the dealership and had them see if they could look up the key code using the VIN but unfortunately they weren't able to. What are my options? Did Honda record the key code anywhere in the car? I've taken the plastic trim from around the column off and I can see that I have a Honda K40-41 lock.

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Hunt

code series 3001-4481 Blank # X181 or HD-91 code locations passenger door lock ignition

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Key,

Thank so very much for the info. Once I find the code who can cut me a key for it? Do I need to go to the dealer or can I go to any locksmith? Also, if you don't mind me me asking may I ask what your source is?

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Hunt

locksmith can cut.. FIRST OFF tho, go open the glove box.. look on the glove box door OPEN, and in the near to you left corner for a white sticker, with a black line printed on it-sometimes the code is written right there.. IF (be surprised how often I find for OLDER foreign cars ONLY) it still has the original owners manual, they were oddly pretty good of writing the code there too

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Go to your local locksmith. While the code may very well be on the ignition, it is on the cylinder not on the ignition housing and the cylinder must be removed to see it. The passenger door lock is your best bet, and I would recommend that you bring the lock cylinder to the locksmith, that way he can test the key and if the code is wrong he can still make a key.

You question the source of the information. This car has been around for 20 years and I am sure that "key" has been around for that long making keys for cars. I know I have.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

a locksmith will be your best bet on getting a code key cut for your 20 year old car.

25 years expierence as a locksmith

also look at Shiva's responce news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com it may still be in the clove box?

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Key, when you say "code series 3001-4481" do you mean that the key code will be a four digit number between 3001 and 4481? I think I found the code written on the inside of the front cover of the manual and it does fall within that range.

--adam

Reply to
Adam Hunt

That should be the code.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

bingo !!! give it a try...

credit to Shiva for that..

g'day

Reply to
Key

I made a key for a civic here recently. Think it was later than 87 though. I used a keyblank and a file. I did'nt need any code. Took about 30 minutes Any qualified automotive locksmith should be able to do that.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

On many of the late 80's and up til mid to late 90's hondas, I find that the keycode is on nearly every lock. The easiest to get to is the glovebox lock if equipped, also if there is a valet lockout on the passenger side that locks the gas cap and trunk release, it can often be pulled out with just your fingers, or by taking off the shroud over top with a phillips #2 screwdriver.

Reply to
kg4boj

you're welcome..

dealer or any automotive locksmith should be able you cut the key for ya.

my source is 26+ years in the locksmith trade... also, being lucky enough to do the lockwork for virtually every dealer in my area helped.....

Reply to
Key