Arnold-Got Keys??

Just thought some would like to know: (Copy of email)

On Saturday, September 23, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law California Senate Bill 1542, which requires a motor vehicle manufacturers of new motor vehicles sold or leased on and after January

1, 2008, to provide the means whereby registered owners may, through a registered locksmith, access the information that is necessary to permit the production of a replacement key or other functionally similar device by the registered locksmith that will allow the owner to enter, start, and operate the vehicle. The Associated Locksmiths of America, Inc. (ALOA) worked closely with the California Locksmiths Association (CLA), the Automobile Club of Southern California and the California State Automobile Association (AAA) to educate legislators on the need for such a law. Consumers in California who lost the keys to their car would have to wait for hours for the dealerships to replace their keys. Frequently, consumers would have to tow their car to the dealership, or have to go without their car if the incident happened over a weekend when the dealerships were closed. This bill is a big step for California consumers by allowing registered locksmiths key code information 24/7.

Special thanks to John Brueggeman, President of CLA, who spent countless hours traveling to Sacramento working with ALOA and AAA to make sure locksmiths were involved at every level. Key provisions of the bill include:

  1. Makes various findings and declarations regarding the need for vehicle owners to be able to gain entry to and operate their vehicles in a timely, convenient, and reliable manner.

  1. Requires motor vehicle manufacturers of new motor vehicles sold or leased on and after January 1, 2008, to provide the means whereby registered owners may, through a registered locksmith, access the information that is necessary to permit the production of a replacement key or other functionally similar device by the registered locksmith that will allow the owner to enter, start, and operate the vehicle.

  2. Requires the means to access this information to be available by telephone or electronically 24 hours a day and seven days a week.

  1. Specifies security procedures that must be followed by the vehicle's registered owner, the registered locksmith, and the vehicle manufacturer in order for the needed key duplication information to be made available by the manufacturer to the locksmith, and immunizes the manufacturer and locksmith from liability for theft of the vehicle if the statutory procedures are followed. These procedures include having the locksmith verify the identity of the requesting vehicle owner, and that the registration address matches the owner's address, and having the locksmith destroy all information in his or her possession that was accessed from the vehicle manufacturer after giving it to the vehicle owner. Manufacturer responsibilities would include requiring the locksmith to confirm his or her registration, complying with other reasonable authentication procedures, and confirming the verifications described above.

  2. Defines, for the purposes of this bill, a "registered locksmith" as a locksmith licensed and bonded in California that has registered with a motor vehicle manufacturer and has been issued a registry number and security password by the manufacturer. A registered owner would also include a lessee of the vehicle when the lessee's name appears on the vehicle registration. 6. Defines, for the purposes of this bill, "information" to include the vehicle's key code, immobilizer or access code, and any successor technology or terminology.

  1. Defines, for the purposes of this bill, "motor vehicle" to mean a passenger vehicle, but not a housecar, motorcycle, or other two-wheeled motor vehicle.

  2. Exempts from this bill's requirements, until January 1, 2013, a vehicle manufacturer's vehicle line that sold between 2,500 and 5,000 vehicles in the prior calendar year in California.

  1. Specifies that this bill does not apply to a vehicle line of a motor vehicle manufacturer that on January 1, 2006, does not provide for the reproduction of a key or other functionally similar device that allows the vehicle to be entered, started, and operated, by anyone other than the vehicle manufacturer itself and only itself, provided that the vehicle manufacturer operates a telephone or electronic request line 24 hours a day and seven days a week and, upon the request of the registered owner or his or her family member, furnishes to the registered owner at a reasonable cost within one day of the request or via the next overnight delivery, a replacement key or other functionally similar device that will allow the vehicle to be entered, started, and operated.

  2. Sunsets the provisions described in #9 above on January 1, 2013.

  1. Specifies that this bill does not apply to a manufacturer that sold fewer than 2,500 vehicles in California in the prior calendar year.

  2. Allows vehicle manufacturers to perform the duties assigned to them by this bill either by themselves or through the use of a contract agent.

  1. Provides that if, subsequent to January 1, 2008, a vehicle line of an exempted manufacturer provides for the reproduction by anyone, other than the vehicle manufacturer itself, of a key or other functionally similar device that will allow the vehicle to be entered, started, and operated, this bill's provisions will apply to that vehicle line.

  2. Provide that this bill's provisions are severable, so that if any particular provision is held inactive, that invalidity will not affect this bill's other provisions.
Reply to
goma865

Bet Toyota and a few others aint gonna be happy.. LOL and the PEOPLE sure wont be either, what with having to fork out still MORE $ for new electronic toys.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

They will have to "get happy" and get over it-LOL

goma.

Reply to
goma865

SO how much does it cost for a California locksmith to specialize in supporting these newer locks and repalcing keys?

Reply to
Bogus

my guess? LOTSA bucks..

new computers on hand for the Toyotas at what? a grand each? and some? of the VW same way? gonna get interesting..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

This is the first time I have seen the CLA or ALOA actually lobby for a good law. This makes me want to rejoin.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

It all sounds nice the only problem is that there is no requirement that anything but information be made available. Nothing to stop a manufactuerer from using a proprietary system requiring proprietary programming hardware which they then patent and sell for $10,000 per unit.

Reply to
Steve

I don't think that will be the case. The intent of the lawmakers is the law, so that kind of mischief will probably not fly. Not only that it would probably make really bad press the automakers will want to avoid.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Makes we want to finish my tests and get CRL.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

The intent of the lawmakers is whatever the judges on the highest court that hears a case involving the law decide it is. I will bet you dollars to donuts lots of expensive new hardware will be needed that will have to be purchased from somebody. The insurance companies will weigh in on the side of the auto industry because it's in there best interest for it to be as hard to get duplicate/new keys as possible. The insurance companies drove the change to transponder systems in the first place. It's virtually impossible for locksmiths to undercut the dealers in terms of price on transponder work. The dealer has to worry about being able to make keys for their own cars. To be competivitive the locksmith, with much lessor financial resources, has to be able to make keys for ALL the major makers. The best end result for the consumer will be that dealers may have to cut their prices a bit if they want to keep the bulk of transponder work.

Reply to
Steve

exactly.. local Ford dealer hauls the cars in, calls ME to cut the transponder keys, and they program them and the customer is out something over $250. the locksmith to my east does them for $150 if they are close-within say 15 miles from him..

I want the new programmer Ford has.. Its a Palm Pilot sized gizmo.. only costs about $6-7 hundred bucks but the UPDATES are a killer.,.,.the dealership is paying something like a grand a month for that..

AND just for fun, the same locksmith to my east does ALL the Chrysler keys- none of the 3 dealerships around will even bother with them, sending all of them direct to him.. THEY dont even like them..LOL ANOTHER trivia.. GM the new Cobalt, its a PITA to cut a key for.. and the Colorado is WORSE.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

actually, they at one time had a pair of Curtis Clippers, but got tired of 'operator error', and quit..costing them too many wasted blanks, and LOST blanks.

funny thing but I was told a trick with the older Ford programmer, there is a possibility that it can still be used for a lot of years with a 'relatively cheap' addition, to the $2,700?? basic price of it..

exactly, there are 19? lock shops in my county, of something around 1/3 million folks, and AFAIK, there are 2 shops doing Fords and Chryslers, and 1 doing the foreign, there is insufficient demand for the machines.. the one auto shop I was talking to one day and he mentioned he just bought a new kay machine for most of the exotic car stuff, and paid about $13 grand for it.

shhhhh.. I do..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

actually your are not completely correct. we are just mobile. (never cared to have a retail shop) and we can afford the nessessary equipment for the vehicles we choose to work on and can do those cheaper then the dealers around here. Dealer Charge towing = $75+ / depending on the tow. Programming = one dealer$100 / another dealer $125 Transponder Keys = $25 to $35. Total $200 to $235+ Our Charge with dealer discount. trip and fit/program/furnish transponder key = $150 to $175 depending on the type vehicle. for no more than one half hour at the vehicle and average traveling time of another fourty five minutes / there and back.

1.25 hours total time spent..

actually, trip charges vary as do towing charges. depending geological locations.

we are the private locksmith for virtually every major dealership in our area and have been for the past 20 years. also, most locksmiths have no problem getting 99% of the transponder blanks.

no pun intended

Reply to
Key

Dealer Charge

my local Ford dealer gets $65 just to program the keys, plus the necessary keys, from $30 to $150 for one of the new cars..(FUsion I believe) this is PER key for the keys, too

some of the new keys are coming in a LOT higher than this, but its a starting point.

thats ball park for here too.. can be slightly higher but they got a 'contract' with one towing company, and 'get a reduced price'

the shop here that does it gets $125 basic in the town, then adds milage and extra for the higher priced keys..

REAL funny thing is i can get a LOT of the transponder blanks thru my suppliers CHEAPER than the dealer can.. a new PK3+ blank for instance costs me less than $15, and the dealer pays 43 thru the GM supply place..

exactly.. what it boils down to is DEMAND.. you got the demand, you can make the bucks.. but you MUST have the demand before dropping the $$ for the special equipment.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Seldom. It's simple economics. The corner lock shop cannot afford to buy multiple tools to program different makers vehicles and still make a key for the same or less than the dealership that only has to be able to program their own.

The trip charge is usually going to be about the same as the towing charge then you are back to the aforementioned economics. That's if you can even get the blank. The only dealerships private locksmiths can compete with are dealers who don't really want key work and knowingly overprice it.

Reply to
Steve

You aren't originating a working key. You are cutting it only (and I have yet to see a parts dept that doesn't have a punch to do their own keys your dealership must by tiny). If the locksmith can effectively undercut the dealership why don't you invest in the transponder equipment and program keys? The answer is obvious: Like a lot of other guys you know as soon as you make your money back you are going to have to sink mega $$$$ into new equipment and you will be back in the hole again. It isn't worth it. If there was widespread standardization and one programmer would do it all then it would be but as it is it isn't.

You're making my point for me. The dealer can afford to pay 1K/month because they only have to worry about programming Ford Lincoln Mercury and they are the first place most people call when they need a key for one of those cars. You on the other hand can't even afford the updates because they aren't going to make you 1K/month in revenue.

You know all the dealers around. Why don't you just cheat and have parts look up the code by VIN?

Reply to
Steve