Arnold-Got Keys??

thats it exactly.. If I got 20-25 grand tied up in specialized equipment, then I MUST cover expenses on that for any work that I do. must figure the payback on the actual purchase plus updates and maintenance, etc.. and make the prices accordingly.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I know mine would as well, its just that 'so far' they havent decided to sell one of theirs yet.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

I had a friend that worked at a Chrysler dealership in the parts department. One time I was there as I needed an ignition, and his cost on the thing was

4 times what mine was, and the only difference is that mine came in a plastic bag with the name of the lock's manufacturer on it but his came in a cardboard box with the word Mopar on it.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf

"'Key" snipped-for-privacy@Ya.Net wrote in message news:7vlUg.25135$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com...

I've been watching this thread and I have to say as somebody with about 15 years in the used car business most locksmiths cannot handle most of the newer transponder cars. It use to be any good locksmith could make keys for just about anything I needed but not any more. Either they can't get the blank or they don't have the right tool to program it or in a lot of cases with the cars I deal with like Mercedes they can't even cut the blank if they could get it. The new technology has them totally out of their depth. Sure maybe they can do some Fords and other low end stuff that nobody who makes real money seems to want but when it comes to the mid to upper end foreign cars they are lost. It's dealer only 9 out of 10 times. Not only with the upper end foreign stuff either. I had an 06 Jeep I needed a key for a little while back, just a basic keyless entry, transponder 8 cut key, called every locksmith in town none could even get the blank for it. Dealer only. $155 for the key and programing. But at least they could do it. I rarely use locksmiths anymore even for older stuff. I've got a car dealer's license and I get the key cut by VIN by the dealerships. They all know me, seldom even ask for paperwork, will do it from 10 - 35 dollars which the local locksmiths can't touch. Double that at least for them to come out and make a key. I use one locksmith for the really old stuff like high dollar gen 1 camaros, firebirds etc. He can knock out a set of keys for them in about 10 minutes flat with his eyes closed but doesn't do any transponder keys at all, says it isn't worth the trouble.

Reply to
Mike

ok, so far, using MY area, agree WITH provisions..see below..

It use to be any good locksmith could make keys for

funny, I got a Sidewinder, used it 3 times now in 10 years.. thats a clue..more below.

for SOME cases it IS dealer ONLY.. for instance I opened an 06 Honda truck today, got curious and looked it up in the Ilco list- dealer restricted key..so, the locksmiths ARE out.. Can it be 'cloned'? dont know, I DO know I could copy the mechanical cuts really cute sidewinder..but not a clue about the key head,

Not only

Chrysler is IMO sorta silly..you MUST 'phone home' to corporate to get the secondary code for the vehicle if the customer doesnt know it, but the programming tool is CHEAP..compared to some. more below.. closest Chrysler dealer to me is 15 miles away.. and further, and THEY wont do the keys at all, which IS odd..

magic words.. one of the trade magazines was discussing transponders and what it took, and the number that was thrown out at THAT time, (2-3 years back I believe) was THEN current prices for the required electronics was about $28k. add the various key machines and accessories for same, and you were over $40k. IMO, you MUST do a LOT of that type of work on ALL the cars to justify. now, the prices are higher.. so, you got a town of quarter million people, and 10 smiths..how many are going to be able to justify that tremendous outlay, not knowing the amount of return for same? PLUS, just how many 'transponder vehicle dealerships, are in that town? Sometimes not many, and few cars are seen driving around..

We had a lady here, screamed bloody murder over her "Land Rover', when it had to be hauled over 300 miles one way to get some work done that only the dealer shop could perform..nobody was holding the gun to her head FORCING her to buy it tho-was her choice. Ditto a Jag, they go 240 miles east, or 200 miles west to be worked on.. I inquired at a car mechanic thats specialty IS high end foreign.. the upper $ Mercedes, Jags and others.. and asked IS THERE a demand for someone TO be able to do keys for these? and he was just another that agreed with several others I asked previously.. NO.

BTW,,, I THINK, in my area of over 300k people, we got 1 smith that can do all the cars.. a couple more can do the Fords and Chryslers.. the one smith stays 'comfortable' with his outlay of tools etc, as far as 'return on investment', but he has admitted he only does sometimes 2 a day of various ones,

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

good thing you are not in my area. GM dealers around here are NOT allowed to make keys for used car dealers. GM has restricted them from doing such. As far as high end cars, you are correct. its not worth the expense for a locksmith to cut those type keys. I am in a fairly large town and to tell ya the truth, the owners of those high end card tent to NOT lose their keys as much. Guess they are more organized or something. I wouldn't say locksmiths are "totally out of their depth" though. Its just a few high-end cars that are just not worth the investment it would take for a profitable return..

Reply to
Key

No offense but that's a clue that you are either in the sticks where people don't make much money or that you can't do the transponder part of it so all you can make keys for are older Mercedes. Mercedes is all over the place here, BMW too. It could also be that the Mercedes owners don't even think to call you and go straight to the dealership which is what they are usually in the habbit of doing.

That doesn't do any good. I need a WORKING key not just one that will open the doors. This is my point: Locksmiths can't do most of the transponder keys. Either they can't get the blank, they can't cut the blank, or they can't program the transponder and system to let the car start with the blank. If it's not one thing it's something else.

This is another clue you are in the sticks. I have never seen a new car dealership that didn't do keys. It's almost like free money for them.

That's what the locksmiths around here say, except for the last part.

Cause those people go to the dealership for service. They don't even look in the yellow pages for anything else.

Reply to
Mike

I had one dealer a while ago try that crap. I just paid a guy in parts to do it on the side. He did it for the same price the dealer charged. Didn't cost me an extra dime. The dealership didn't make any money and the employee did. No wonder GM is financially in the crapper. I don't mess with many GM, except pickup trucks, anyway.

They go to dealer service for keys and everything else.

Sorry but it's a lot more than a few. Rover, Jag, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Porsche, the list goes on and on and on. Most of them can MAYBE do keys for the Fords and stuff but even for stuff like the 06 Jeep I mentioned they can't even get a blank.

Reply to
Mike

if a parts employee tries that at the dealers around here? he wouldn't be working there very long. policy is policy... (two wrongs don't make a right)

doesn't apply. code information is getting more controlled these days for good reason. how would you feel if anyone could get the VIN from your car and go to the dealer and have a key made ?

I will say again, "a few high-end cars that are just not worth the investment it would take for a profitable return" hell, the largest mechanic shop in town doesn't even work on all you mentioned.

do you realize how may "Fords and stuff" are out there? (plenty of $$$'s to be made)

don't fool yourself. if a locksmith wanted to invest in the proper programing equipment for the 06 Jeep? the locksmith would not have any problem obtaining the "dealer restricted key blank" from their suplier. also, the dealer would gladly sell them the blank or order some for the locksmith to stock...

Reply to
Key

I flat ADMIT I am in the sticks.. 2 months after I bought my SIdewinder, the foreign car dealer closed up and went out of business.. SAAB, Volvo, BMW, all left the town.. left VW and Mercedes.. now we got 1 DEALER, that has all but 3 of the foreign cars.. the exceptions are Mercedes being handled by the Chevy dealer, and the certain few VERY exotic cars on their own by a separate dealer as well.

when Ilco says DEALER RESTRICTED ONLY, we are AFAIK, OUT of the loop..

they dont want to be bothered.. that takes 'skill' which IMO, their mechanics do NOT have.. 'parts changers', yes, but not mechanics..

the DEALERSHIP tho is a several HUNDRED mile drive.. Jag is 480 miles for anyhting one way or 350 the other.. Land Rover is closer to 600.. sorry-thats silly people in my way of thinking..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I rather think they can get the blanks, but I have NO idea whats required to be able to call Chrysler and get that secondary key code.. which IS required.. SOme of the Chrysler blanks ARE interesting.. CANNOT understand a $100 blank, and over $200 retail.. but Chrysler and Ford BOTH have them now.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

GM WILL fire his butt IN A HEARTBEAT over that..if they know its being done..

and thats why GM policy changed DRASTICALLY.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

There's the key. There are a lot you don't do and thus a lot of equipment you don't need.

and can do those cheaper then the

These must be for older models. There are alot of transponder blanks now that will top $100 easily.

That's about what most dealer's around here charge.

The point is they tend to cancel one another out if comparing prices dealer to locksmith.

Reply to
Steve