First cut on Titan keys

I have a set of Titan (factory cut) keys with the first cut 1-7. When I need to generate a code-cut key for a Titan I do the first cut with one of the factory "masters' on my duplicator and the rest of the cuts on my code cutter. Beats changing cutter wheels.

Ralph

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

YEAH... me too.. duplicate the FIRST cut as needed on a regular duplicator.. then can do the rest on the other machine..

(this assumes that I EVER run out of the 20# of Kwikset precuts I was given by a hardware wholesaler one time)

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Reply to
Addy

BTDT as well, but I just made the first cut on 6 different blanks..the rest I can easily cut as well.. its that FIRST cut thats the pain.. not everyone has a slotter..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Couldn't you have done the same with just 6 keys?

1-1-1-1-1-1 2-2-2-2-2-2 3-3-3-3-3-3 etc?
Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

The problem with depth keys like this is the geometry of the blade on the duplicator. If the angle on the blade is narrower than proper key geometry then you have problem with keys getting stuck.

A good compromise can be to cut your ones and twos in a fashion you suggest and then for the deeper cuts cut 2 depth keys one for the odd cuts, and one for the even cuts.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Hmm. Yep, see what you mean.

I was thinking that the keys made on an code cutter (I use a Framon) with a proper Kw cutter should work though.

I mean, if I originated a Kw key, using Kw depths and spacing, and Kw cutter, it would certainly duplicate properly. Wouldn't it?

Lets suppose I do have 6 properly spaced and cut Titan keys, 1-1-1-1- etc., through 6-6-6-6-etc. and I want to originate a Titan key, for example

6-3-4-3-6-3. First off, I would chuck up my blank and the 6-6-6-6-6-6 key. Make the first and fifth cuts. Chuck up the 4-4-4-4-4-4 key and make the third cut. Chuck up the 3-3-3-3-3-3 key and make the second, forth and sixth cuts. Assuming my originator keys were cut properly, shouldn't it work?

'Course with the Titan, all the first cuts on the originater series would have to be either hand cut or copied from a factory blank. pita

Ralph

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

BINGO.. the first cut bow side is straight.. which, with the width of the cutter used, means you cannot on the Framon..wipes the shoulder.

PITA.. then you got to change to the slotter, THEN make the tip side sloped..

heck with it.. copy the first cut off original blank, then cut the rest as needed on the Framon..copy as needed..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Now that I think about it, one of the Kwikset factory kits has a set of keys with only the first (bow) cut. It's not the keying ket #272, it's the one with the repair parts for the electronic lock(s.) I think it might be #270. So that means there is a part number for that ring of keys, and more importantly, that's the factory method for originating that square first cut. Good luck though. Didja ever try to get factory assistance for the kwikset? Or descent service from any of the warehouses (for Kwikset?) I don't care what anybody says about Kwikset, or any brand for that matter. I'm never discourteous to a customer about their preference. Even if they are not one of my customers...they can expect courteous, honest advice and opinion, and, most important, earnest options about who to contact for professional service. whew!

Can ya tell I'm really hacked off at the Kwikset factory? :) By the way, I'm a pr>

Reply to
Addy

there is a local 'wholesaler/distributor for KW.. he wont sell to me.. I am NOT a hardware store or lumber yard..ergo I cannot buy from him..

BUT.. my buddy AT a lumber yard was up getting stuff one day and came back with a present for me..about 30# of precut KW keys.. they just toss them in a box and sell for scrap when it got full..so he got them.. I am probably good for another 3-4 years yet..

Are KW the best? no.. BUT, they are far BETTER than a LOT of the 'junk' being peddled at the moment..

what I am wondering is, is there NO care on the design patent? I got hold of 2 chinese clones that are by looks IDENTICAL to KW locks.. the Tylo knobs.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Hmmm.

Sounds like a good technique for refilling my shoeboxes.

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

One of the first attempts to do a Titan first cut, I just used a standard cutter and made a "V" cut. Live and learn.

Next time I tried to hand file it. Yechht.

After that I got smart and copied off a factory blank for the first cut. So now I have a set of 6 different Titan keys, each with a different first cut. On the one hand I was pleased with myself for coming up with the idea on my own. On the other hand, I was rather disgusted with KW for coming up with such a PITA for the first cut.

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

Depends on exactly what the design patent covers (it may just be one or two details rather than the whole appearance, if they had trouble claiming the latter), when it runs out (I don't think those were extended when copyrights got stretched), whether it's worth the effort to enforce...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

You shouldn't be disgusted with Kwikset for this, the reason they did this is to allow for cross keying of 5 pin Kwikset with 6 pin Titan. If they had just added a 6th pin in the 6th position then 5 pin Kwikset locks could not be pinned to 6 pin Titan keys.

I for one thing the engineering on the Titan was pretty good for such a cheep lock. They took into account most of the week design flaws of the original Kwikset line and beefed-up those trouble spots.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yes, you're right, it is really a good design. I even adapted a 5-pin KW blank to work the Titan lock. Was bored that day.

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

When I was working in the 80's for antoher locksmith, we used to generate a lot of keys for GM, they got lost frequently. I had a little duplicator, and a power inverter. At the shop I'd cut myself keys such as 131313 and 313131, so that I could get the key with the cut where I wanted it, and have both angles. Used round keys for the cut in the odd space, square for the space in the even.

For example, if I needed a key that was code 533424, I'd use the odd

5 depth key to make the first space. The odd and even 3 keys to make the next two, and then the even 4 to get the couple of 4s. And then the odd space 2 depth key to get the last one.

Sure beat hand filing the slope on the left.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In the future you don't need to adapt the Kwikset blank in order to pin it to a Kwikset key. All you need to do is drop a pin and it will work just fine.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf