Kwikset keys

Can I use a kwikset 5 pin key on a kwikset ultramax 6 pin lock if I remove the sixth pin? Or is the key a different shape? Thanks jposi at flash dot net

Reply to
Joe

head is a different shape, UNLESS you got the NEW KW head shape.. the LOWER shoulder is offset from the upper

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

But, since the 5 pin key has a shoulder that prevents it from going into the plug as far as the six pin blank, the five cuts will coincide with the first five tumblers on the 6 pin lock. This would mean you remove the spring, pin, and driver from #6.

When you pin up a five pin lock to the 6 pin keys, the key stops at the upper shoulder so you would ignore the first cut on the key and use the depths on cuts 2 to 6 to select the proper pins.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

BUT, go look at the NEW KW blanks.. they modified the shoulder..its a new number I believe but it has the KW and not the titan head --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--