Japan Lock Code on Suzuki Motorcycle? X-ref?

I just got back from my locksmith with my ignition and gas cap off of a

1983 Suzuki GS850L. He looked at them and told me that he could not make a key because the code was a Japanese code and there is no way to look up the American version. I thought that this sounded a little odd and that maybe he just didn't have the right cross ref book.

Can someone tell me if this is accurate and if so, is there a way to find the American code so that I can have keys made for this bike?

The codes are:

020 - 1x17 : Ignition 221 - 1x17 : gas cap

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
krunch

AFAIK, there was only 1 key for the bikes??? so, if that is indeed 020 and 021 as part of the code, I would have to wonder if that is not a 'casting number' type, and NOT a code the 1x17... yeah, see an x used, even in reference TO a cut depth..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Here in USA 020 and 221 are codes for Suzuki around that year. What is 1x17 means I have no idea.

A locksmith should have the codes and should be able to made a key. Some locksmith are able to get on a secure web site where locksmith around the world are able to get codes. Good luck!

Reply to
RDB

020 and 220 are two different code series and use 2 different blanks. also one is a 5 wafer and the other is a 6.

wonder why the smith didn't just impression a key ? he needs to visit another smith...

Reply to
Key

I am HORRID on cycles, have no blanks, etc.. BUT..inquired to all the dealers around me and they can code cut keys, or have them already on hand-so, why waste inventory $ BUT, they impression REAL GOOD..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Thanks all. Another poster sent me an email and exchanged some info. We found out that the "smith" I went to was looking at the wrong numbers. Ther was another 3 digit code on the cap and ignition that I was able to take back and have the key made.

Thanks alot for all of the posts. I appreciate the help.

[from his email]: According to ILCO, that model year used a 3 digit code between 101 and 499, and an X87 key blank..
Reply to
krunch

you are welcome...

g'day