Need key info from code

I'm building a motorcycle from junk.
1985 Honda Shadow VT500C
Of course, the lockset has no keys.
I picked the tank lock to get the numbers.
Keycode is A62
I need the translation from that code to the
profile information to make the key.
Where better to ask for help than the place
where hundreds of readers have that info at their
fingertips?
And yes, I found several local people who'd
hand me a key for $25.
I have a blank, a file, lots of time, and a desire
to see if I can do it. I enjoy learning new things.
I don't have $25.
Thanks for your assistance,
mike
return address is valid
Reply to
mike
what on an open forum ? read the FAQ
think about it
sounds like a fair price to pay.
then try to impression it by hand.
my code program cost $600+ why should myself or anyone that has invested in codes give you info for free ? think about that too..
no real pun intended g'luck
Reply to
Key
Oooooooo...
You better not ask here because these filthy, braindead, locksmiths won't give you the time of day.
This is all top secret stuff and you have to be a Foley Belsaw graduate, complete with ID card, to get this kind of Top Secret Info.
Gotta protect their dying trade now don't they. As you have discovered, any IDIOT can dup a key, even by code. Honestly it doesn't take a rocket scientist yet locksmiths will sing their song of doom for anyone who will listen.
Problem is, most people are not listening.
That's because they are smarter than the average Locksmith.
They know it's cheaper to smash their car window than get an incompetent locksmith to come along and screw up their airbags or worse.
You can buy all kinds of locksets at the big box stores and yes while they aren't commercial grade who cares?
A thief is going to look for other ways to get into your home anyway. He sure as hell isn't going to try and pick your lock.
More than likely he will smash a window.
So much for your grade 2 lockset.
My dad, God rest his soul, was a 'smith for 40 years and managed to put 3 kids through college. Up until his death last year he was appalled at what passes for a smith these days.
Locksmithing these days is as dead as my dad. Any idiot can install a lock.
The people making the real money in the trade are the manufacturers who are selling tools to the fool locksmiths. Coat hangers bent in the right places my dad used to call them.
Sadly, I tried to sell his shop on eBay but some do gooder narc'd on me and my auction got cancelled.
No problem.
I sold it all through a business broker to some sucker in Iowa who graduated from NRI and was going to make a fortune locksmithing.
Best of luck to him.....
Oooops....I just saw a lot of the stuff offered the other day on ebay. Guess things didn't work out too well for him. No surprise....
Better check ebay keyman, looks like you missed one.
Reply to
Les Walton
"Les Walton" <les snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com trolled curelessly in message ---snip the clueless troll---
no need to reply troll-boy
<plonk>
Reply to
Key
Are you for real? Why don't you go someplace else to make trouble. Guess your dad didn't make a good impression on you. Give it a break. Wayne
Reply to
wayne c
Hey 'key, my message was for him to give it up. My message is at the top, not the end of the string. Wayne
Reply to
wayne c
what on an open forum ? read the FAQ
think about it
An open forum is the only place to ask a question. The ANSWER is what you should take offline.
sounds like a fair price to pay.
Thanks for the interesting link on impressioning. "Hey, I see you're trying to cut down that there tree. I've got this here chainsaw in my hand. It's running...I'm gonna help you out...here's a map. Walk that way about 10 miles and they'll give you a free pocket knife. You'll have that tree cut down in no time. No need to thank me...glad I could help!" Think about that...
Ok, your car quits and you're stranded in the middle of nowhere. I drive by. I stop and say, "hey there, see you need ride. But this car cost me $24,000. There's no way I can give you a ride in it, even tho it would cost me nothing to help you."
There's nice people who will stop to help you. There's ordinary indifferent people who'll just drive by. Then there's them special people that stops just long enough to inform you that you don't deserve their help. Think about that...
This is where the key goes:
Have a nice day, mike Again, my return address is valid if anyone wishes to be helpful offline.
no real pun intended g'luck
Reply to
mike
I think you should buy a key from one of those people.
Do you enjoy working for pay/ money? For a living for yourself and any family you support?
Why don't you work some for pay, and take that pay, and pay that keymaker $25 and the economy will be better off for these activites; your work ethic result, the keymaker business, his family and his ability to make more keys in the future for more people who need them, and even the motorcycle's value for future sale. That form of 'trade' or exchange is what makes the world go 'round.
It might sound like capitalism, but it is a healthy way to run a society. If you just 'take' and don't give anything back, it doesn't work right.
Reply to
Mike Easter
I'd be interested in the source of your information "that I don't give anything back"????
I don't need a lecture on economics. I need a code to make a key.
If you don't wanna help, that's your option. Feel free to contact me if you ever need help. I'm here for you.
Maybe there exists someone who DOES want to help. Help almost always happens in the background. Most of what shows up on the newsgroup is, "hey everybody, look at me, watch me hassle this guy...high five!" Thanks for exercising your right to free speech, mike return address is valid for the helpful. 1985 Honda Shadow VT500C key code A62
Reply to
mike
This equation appears to be one where you give the keymaker $25 and the keymaker gives you a key. You seem to be having trouble with the part where you give the $25.
No, you need a key and you know where to get one and how to get it, and economics are part of the equation.
This is a place where we give/share opinions about how to do something. That's what I'm doing.
I've felt free to ask for things as well as answer and also get peoples' opinions about the answer to what I'm asking in public forums for a long time. You are certainly welcome to provide your opinion of my opinion or to answer any of my posts when I ask something.
So there you are.
You mean in some /other/ way that you prefer. I can't tell you how to cut a key.
Reply to
Mike Easter
"mike" snipped-for-privacy@go.com wrote in message ---snip---
evidently you didn't read the FAQ. or maybe you missed this part.
quote 0. Will people on this newsgroup give me information about picking locks, etc.? Yes and No. These is a serious debate, based on serious principles. Most experienced people here are quite willing to discuss the basics of lock construction and operation. Few (if any) are willing to give specific answers regarding opening a particular lock or safe - without knowing the asker or having other evidence that the inquiry is legitimate. unquote
no credible locksmith with any ethics at all will give you an answer on this open forum. for obvious reasons that you either can't, or wish not to understand.
Reply to
Key
That's why we have off-line email. But then you'd have to post an email address that accepts mail. or respond to my email address. You seem intent on giving me grief...for reasons I really don't understand. It's a number. You have it. You won't divulge it. That's your right. But it's your decision and yours alone.
Perhaps there's a lurker with useful information who'd email me directly. Then they'd not have to endure all this...One can only hope... Sigh... mike
Reply to
mike
give us the vin number to your car, and we can provides the cuts to THAT key..same difference with the bike.. nobody here would STEAL your car, would they?,,, but,., HOW do we know you DO own that bike?? we dont.. and we cant.. and to me YOU CANNOT PROVE YOU DO..
I argued with a cop once on 'proof of ownership' of a vehicle and i showed HIM the weakness of the system, and he suddenly said a dirty word, cause i DID show the flaw to it..He had not thought of it..
I had a call this week.. guy was locked out of his business, his keys were inside on the counter..I asked HOW this happened... and he said his wife locked the door for spite while they were getting a divorce..she had keys.. so, I declined the job cause SHE might have had a court order giving HER the business, and I cannot prove in either case, or a restraining order against him... too many possibilities without a way to get legit backup information...which is NOT available.. --Shiva--
Reply to
me
"mike" snipped-for-privacy@go.com trolled in message news:FVlwg.2044$yN3.80@trnddc04...
on an open forum ? you really are clueless !
not happening.. still wouldn't know you are for real. you could be a thief trying to get into someones private property.
again, if you would have read the FAQ before you ask defeating instructions on this open forum ? you wouldn't be so clueless as to why you're getting flamed. then maybe this group wouldn't have had to endure all your clueless responses.
they also wouldn't have to endure all this if you weren't so clueless.
Reply to
Key
Mike,
try

They have forums with people who are a lot more willing to talk to you.
*$
Reply to
Starbuck
"Starbuck" snipped-for-privacy@BogusDomain.com wrote in message >
you mean there are forums with more clueless folks ? :-)
Reply to
Key
Mike,
Here it is in a nutshell... It's not about simply not posting the code information here. It's about not providing code information to someone who has no way to prove that he/she actually owns the lock/car/truck/motorcycle/what-have-you.
Think of it this way... Let's say you get this bike together by putting a lot of your time and hard earned money into it. Then someone gets a hold of your code number. Then comes here looking for information to get a key made to your bike.
He makes a key, takes your bike, lays it down, gets caught by the cops, locked up for grand theft, then explains in his statement that he got the information to steal your bike from someone on alt.locksmithing
You wouldn't be too happy with the person(s) who provided that information, would you?
That's what it's about.
My advice? Call around to several locksmiths to find out what they charge to make the key. You may find it as much as $10 less than your original quote. BTW - no locksmith will guarantee a key by code. The code could be wrong (happens more often than you'd think) or the lock may have been rekeyed at some point. In either case, the key won't work and you're out the money. So when you find a locksmith to cut the key, ask if the key doesn't work, if he will knock the charge of the key by code off the price of making a key to the bike. (I would)
Good luck.
Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

Site Timeline