Help with a key

First of all, I'm not a locksmith. I'm not here
to learn how to do anything illegal or unethical.
If anyone is interested in my identity, a quick
Google usenet search of my email address will show
that I'm real.
I feel the need to say this stuff because when
I've asked local locksmiths for help, they seem
to assume that I am up to no good.
Here's my problem. I want to reproduce a key that
was used on a whole series of minicomputers in the
60's and 70's. I collect old technology, including
these machines.
Here's a picture of the key in question:

The key says Taylor 137 on it. It is not an
original key and the boss or locating bar is
missing. BTW, it was very common for users
to remove the boss so that the lock could be
left in a position where someone with an
original could not get his key in the hole.
An original key was an Ace XX2247. Again, a
google search will show that this is for DEC
PDP minicomputers and not Coke machines or
parking meters.
The Taylor key that I have will just barely
work in my machines. I've taken it to local
locksmiths and the copies will not work. I
think it's a combination of the key being a
copy itself and the boss being missing.
What I would like is a replica of the
original key that works smoothly. I have a
milling machine with an indexing head and I
am a good machinist. If I had an Ace blank
and the dimensions of the cuts, I think I could
make a good copy. I could then stamp XX2247
on the key and it would be as close to
original as you could get. I asked local
locksmiths if they could sell me a few blanks
and I was treated with open hostility.
So, is it possible for me to get a few
blank Ace keys? How about the dimensions of
the cuts for an Ace XX2247?
Thanks for any help.
-jim
Reply to
Jim Stewart
It's been a couple years since I've worked on one of these. I'll have to check one day soon, and see if that code is one I've got listed. I'll email you off group, since your addy seems to be genuine.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
I suspect that the cheap way would be to check with computer shops, especially those that have been around for a while. and see if you can score an original key since there were a bunch of them out there.
If you can't find a good key, take your poorly working key along with a lock from one of your clunker computers to the locksmith and ask him to fit a good key. If you really are up on computers and are a good machinist you can probably barter for the key.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
Your cheapest solution is to remove one of the locks, preferably one that appears to have had the least use. Take the lock to any locksmith that does tubular key origination as opposed to copying and have him originate a key for it.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere
Thanks for the advice, but the computers just don't exist outside of collectors. Here's what a very nice restored one went for on ebay:
Not exactly a clunker.
Reply to
Jim Stewart
preferably one that
locksmith that does
him originate a key for
you mean they don't want to do a paying job ? something doesn't sound right...
Reply to
"Keyman
Asking for blanks, especially tubular blanks is usually going to raise eyebrows. Someone should be able to cut it for you by code though. What area are you in?
Reply to
Putyourspamhere
understand, but did you offer to pay them to make you a key ? still don't see why they wouldn't sell you the blanks ! something still doesn't sound right ?
Reply to
"Keyman
Lot's of people are very wary of selling key blanks. In some areas I hear hardware stores will not even sell uncut blanks, much less locksmiths.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere
<QGWTa.105100$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.austin.rr.com>
locks,
any
have
some areas I hear
locksmiths.
personally, I see nothing wrong with selling blanks. do it all the time.. (except ones that are restricted in some way).
my2¢
Reply to
"Keyman
Don't need the code -- you've got a working key, and a lock. Though I'd probably look it up just to see if it's the same as I got. Just email me off the list, and I'll send you my PO adress. You can send me your working key, and one lock. Two locks are better. Be about $35 with shipping and all to grind you a couple keys cut to spec and ship them back to you.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Site Timeline