Key Blank info for padlock

I have an old american lock combonation lock with a blue
dial on it and it alos takes a key. The only numbers on it is 1475 besides
the patent numbers, could someone tell what key blank I would need to make
another key for it.
I lost the original key to it and would like to attempt to possibly
impression a key to it. Thanks.
Reply to
Richard Jones
These padlocks are sold to schools and institutions. The keys are restricted to end users as they fit a multitude of locks.
You would be better off tossing the lock and buying a new one.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
Not sure if this is what you have ? Genericode shows a 1475 key-code for an American Pad-Lock. Doesn't say if its a also a combo or not. Blank - Ilco 1046 or Esp - am3 Spaces = 5 Depths = 8
g'luck
Reply to
Key
I show Ilco 1045 but frankly I don't think either works in the American combo locks. These were mostly used in schools and I can find the code for a combo lock but no combo is given. Unless you want to try to manipulate it for the fun of it toss it. It's worth about 4 bucks.
Reply to
Steve
It was an old school lock. I know the combo, but am getting into the locksmith trade and fiqured I could use some experience in impressioning keys. I had a key key this lock but it was lost. The American Lock Co. said to go to a locksmith for keys, so I'm trying to find what key blank to get.
Reply to
Richard Jones
American should be able to give you a blank #, if they will bother, or walk into a locksmith and if the blank is available they can probably find it in short order. No blank or cuts come up for the code you give. No combo either but it is a good code for American combo lock, just no info comes up. What's the serial #?
Reply to
Steve
Hello, and I used to have an American combo/key model in my padlock collection. It was of the older heavy, wide-case design (back when American Lock was still the Junkunc Brothers). The key was wide, short and had cutouts on both sides. This lock was given to me years ago by a local elementary school principal that must have obtained it as a marketing sample. Sorry I can't be of further assistance. Sincerely,
John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@itd.nrl.navy.mil Naval Research Laboratory 4555 Overlook Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20375-5337
Reply to
J. B. Wood
The only numbers on it are 1475 and 2 patent numbers and some writing stamped on it - American lock co. & mfg. by junkunc bros.
Reply to
Richard Jones
practice on a cam lock or some other wafer lock to begin with. that pad-lock probably has a restricted key that's not commonly stocked...
(you could always go and ask the school)
Reply to
Key
If the school still uses it the chances of that are slim and none. If they've discontinued it though there might be a chance. Good chance though they will just have had the precut keys for those locks since they would all be keyed alike and since it isn't going to be on the Best or Yale or whatever master system everything else is. The schools I have seen that did their own in house locksmithing usually use a punch machine so what they can originate tends to be limited.
Reply to
Steve
actually I was commenting on the posability of the OP being a student trying to get a pass key. not really saying he is, but there is always the posibility. (its happend before)
g'day
Reply to
Key
I've had this lock for 25 years since I was in high school. Even though I still remember the combo to it, I thought beings I'm getting into locksmithing, I could do some practice making a key for this lock. Sometimes, I wish I was back in high school :)
Reply to
Richard Jones

Site Timeline