"Skeleton" keys for bit-key locks

Hello,

Friends of mine recently moved into a home built in the 1930s. Their two pre-teen children, a boy and a girl, are intrigued with the bit-key mortise locks on their bedroom doors as they have never had this type of lock before, having previously lived in a home in a subdivision built sometime in the 1980s.

Several days ago, the parents told me, the kids each came home with a set of "skeleton keys" from Wal-Mart. The parents confiscated the keys immediately, saying they did not want them locking the doors because, in their opinion, "skeleton keys" are notorious for sticking, jamming, and breaking off in locks of this type. I suggested that they might go to a locksmith with one of the locks and get a proper key fitted, then the appropriate number of duplicates made.

The kids are disappointed, the parents are up in arms about the "skeleton" keys, yet they do not want the expense of going to a professional locksmith.

My question is, are the "skeleton" keys adequate for the kids if they actually do turn in the locks and move the bolts? (They haven't even been tried yet). Or are the parents justified in not letting the kids use them?

My friends do not have the Internet; so I am posting on their behalf.

Reply to
628185

Two points here:

  1. The parents concern that the skeleton keys could cause problems has some justification. If the critical dimensions are reasonably correct the key should work reliably. If not there can be problems, for example the key could lock but not unlock the door or the key may not retract the lock bolt sufficiently to all the door to be opened. Anyone using these keys should try them out with the door open to make sure that there are no potential problems.

  1. As a matter of policy, should pre-teen children be able to lock their bedrooms denying their parents access - a spare key is of no assistance if the child locks herself in leaving the key in the lock.

If the parents cannot stop their children using skeleton keys, the parents should consider disabling the locks.

It seems rather irresponsible for a retailer to sell skeleton keys to children. Where I come from, these sorts of skeleton keys are not sold as some people still rely on low security bit key locks (usually '2 lever' locks with 12 differs - 2 lever differs and 6 bullet ward differs) to protect their property.

Reply to
Peter

This problem can be real. Back around 1960, when I was a teenager, we lived in such a house. Both my younger brother and I had skeleton keys we had bought at the local "five and dime" store. They came in a set of two. They were skinny (as you might expect) and tended to jam in the locks, sometimes leaving the lock in a "halfway" state. Since everyone seemed to have them, they didn't offer much in the way of security or privacy.

I am very surprised that any large retailer still sells those keys. They are so obsolete that I would only expect an older locksmith shop (or one with some very old stock) to have them.

As for "irresponsible", nobody seemed to think much of it in 1960. Of course, those were the days when (in some areas), you could still buy dynamite at the hardware store! (Needless to say, they were a bit more picky about who they sold it to. :-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan Frisbie

Ace hardware has them..

BTDT.. was 14, picked up 15 sticks one day, 2 rolls of fuse and never mind how many caps..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I don't know that I've ever seen keys for locks with more than one lever sold over the counter either. However, the keys for single-lever locks are quite common. Case in point: I bought a pair at my local hardware store and ground the bits off to make keys to open an old piano some other friends had recently purchased.

Reply to
628185

The other factor is: Most parents don't particularly want kids being able to lock their rooms, for a bunch of reasons ranging from fire safety to trust to just not being able to deal with the concept.

They might actually be more willing to consider modern privacy locks, with the parents keeping a copy of the key and with a lockset which can always be opened from inside by simply turning the handle. That may address the parents' legitimate concerns while still giving the kids some enhanced privacy. (Though some parents will insist they need the option of instant access to the room without hunting for the key in an emergency -- my father did, f'rex, and I can sorta see his point.

If it's just a matter of being interested in the widgetry of the lock as a working antique -- and there's nothing wrong with that -- I'd suggest an old bit-key lock on a display mount, preferably mounted or modified so they can examine how it works.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

This certainly can be a real problem. Most of the keys I've seen for sale in corner hardware stores have a bit end that looks like one of the following:

| | OR | | _| |_ _|__ |_ |_______| |__| |__|

I had a childhood friend who was horsing around with a key that looked like the one on the right. One day, he locked himself in his bedroom (just to see what being in a locked room was like, I suppose). He later told me that the door locked alarmingly easily, with a huge click, but when he went to unlock it half an hour later, he couldn't. I guess he panicked and snapped the key off in the lock. Later, his father had to climb in through his bedroom window and saw the deadbolt off with a hacksaw.

So I guess the lock was more complex than the simple key which locked it.

Reply to
628185

Most of the keys I've seen sold in corner hardware stores have the bit end shaped like one of the following:

| | OR | | _| |_ _|__|_ |______| |_| |_|

These are sold with the packaged assurance they will work on "95% of all simple door locks." I find this to be largely untrue, unless my sample of locks is biased according to the various houses and apartments I have lived in. Actually, the one on the left worked pretty well on the rooms in my parents' old house, but the one on the right would throw the bolts but not retract them.

Reply to
628185

The Walmart skeleton keys can be tried in the locks -- gently. The parents are justified if they don't want the kids locking doors.

Though you didn't ask, I think the kids are to be complimented for being observant. And for having the ability to find things like skeleton keys. To save their money, and make purchases like adults. (I presume they weren't shoplifted?)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And children are unlikely to apply the vault technicians rule of unlocking and locking the door several times with it OPEN.

Reply to
Peter

I share the opinion that young children shouldn't be allowed to lock their bedroom doors. Once they get older, however, some of the concerns about fire and entrapment might be less immediate and there might even be certain benefits to being able to maintain a secure personal environment. I knew a studious young woman who, back when she was a senior in high school in the late seventies, regularly locked her bedroom door for several hours every evening while she did her homework. Not only that, once she had locked the lock with her key she used an old hotel-style keyhole lock to block the lock against "stray" skeleton keys. This she did with her parents' blessings, as she had a much younger brother who wouldn't respect her right to study uninterruptedly unless he was locked out of her room.

Reply to
628185

That's the key, if you'll pardon the pun.

Go beyond the request and solve the customer's (or friend's) _real_ problem. They'll be happier.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

I have consulted with the parents after having shared the advice contained in these posts with them. They agree that:

(1). They now have additional confirmation supporting their gut feelings that the skeleton keys present potential difficulties, and therefore their children shouldn't be using them as "toys";

(2). They are generally uncomfortable with the idea of being locked out of their children's rooms, whether the kids are inside the rooms or somewhere else;

(3). They don't think giving their kids some old locks to display/play with will solve the problem (although they stated they "might" try that avenue in partial appeasement of the kids' curiosity). Rather, they gather that the children find the idea of "cool" old locks on their bedroom doors, that they can use to play "lockup" or "lockout" games, is the real motivator here;

(4). They can't literally start searching their children's lunch pails and pockets for keys on a regular basis, nor can they stop them from using their allowance money to buy keys if that's what they want to spend it on.

(5). Therefore, they think the only reasonable thing to do (until the locks lose their "fascination" factor, anyway) is to disable the mechanisms. Incidentally, the parents have tried the skeleton keys and find they work reasonably well, although there is an apparent tendency for them to get caught in the locks if they don't manipulate them carefully. I told them I had heard one reliable way to disable these locks is to shoot silicone caulking into the keyholes and let it harden. They don't really want to do this, as they don't want to muck up perfectly good mechanisms (and anyway, they might want to be able to lock the doors themselves at some point).

Anyone know of a less messy/less permanent way to disable one of these locks that the kids couldn't easily circumvent?

Reply to
628185

Remove the lock from the door, and have a locksmith remove the bolt from the lock case.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Excellent suggestion.

I suppose the parents will ask whomever they get to do this job to save the bolts, springs, tumblers, etc. and return them with the disabled locks so that they can restore the locks to working order again once their children have gotten over this "fixation."

Reply to
628185

Are 'keyhole locks' still available. That woul be the simplest solution.

Alternatively remove lock, open case and put something in the lock case to block inserting any keys. Removing the bolt is not a good idea as it would get mislaid.

Reply to
Peter

I haven't seen a keyhole lock in years. Personally, I prefer the idea of opening the lock case and inserting something to block out the keys to removing the bolt itself, for the very same reason. Recall, the parents said they eventually want the locks to be usable again.

Of course, this solution may well require keeping all screwdrivers out of reach of the enterprising young tots! :-)

Reply to
628185

If the locks are a surface mount lock on the outside all they would have to do is put a thin piece of metal between the lock and the door or if internal, between the trim plate and the door on both sides. OR how about telling them not to lock them..... so much for discipline.

Leon Rowell

snipped-for-privacy@ican.net wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

If a fellow has enough mechanical ability to get the lock out, removing the bolt isn't that much more complex.

Though, it does get the locksmith back into the picture.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Plan B, a good locksmith might be able to drill a hole in the lock case, put in a machine screw. Such as to block the sliding action of the bolt. The screw can be removed later. No parts to lose.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon