"Skeleton" keys for bit-key locks

Remove lock from door. Take lock apart. Remove bolt. Store bolt in a secure place so you can replace it when you sell the house.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why not just leave it inside the lock body? Then all the parts are there. In the alternative, cut a piece of sheet metal and insert it inside the case. This would also prevent peeping through the keyhole.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think most of us posting in this NG are of the age that they would agree something is lacking in the child-rearing department these days.

If I, as a child in my day and age, had been asked not to lock my bedroom door (or substitute any other prohibited activity here) and I went ahead and did it anyway, a quick spanking would undoubtedly have been the result. If I continued to do it even after that, I likely would have been rendered unable to sit down for several weeks. :-)

But times have changed, and we must change along with them whether we agree or not. Hence, the ingenious, potential mechanical solutions from yourself and others that seem to keep cropping up in this thread.

Reply to
628185

I like the idea of a machine screw to prevent the bolt from moving! The kids would probably break dozens of flimsy keys trying to shoot the bolts before they figured out what was wrong!

Unless, of course, they are true mechanical geniuses....

Reply to
628185

I tried that many years ago -- the lock case was so tight, I couldn't fit the bolt in any other way. Might be different, now days.

Might be possible to build a metal blocker to cover the keyhole and prevent bolt from being extended. I didn't think of that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Ian W. Douglas

Ace hardware.. ask for Skeleton keys.. 2 to a card.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Ian,

Save yourself a bunch of running around, remove one of your locks, and take it to your local locksmith. He can give you a key that will fit properly and you will save yourself a bunch of grief.

The problem with the dime store keys is sometimes they will lock a lock but won't open them.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf